Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luv2fly, Sep 13, 2004.

1. luv2fly

luv2fly LawnSite Member
    from ATL

:blob3:

I may have to relocate to Salt Lake City. I was wondering how is the lawn service business in Salt Lake?

Thanks,

Luv2fly

2. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I am from Utah but not SLC. Because I work in Lawn care I watch areas when I visit...I see alot of trucks in Salt Lake with mowers. I sold a DC to a guy in Salt Lake and he showed me the property he was planning on using it on...he also told me his price...It wasent good, but he did mention he was a first year guy and relized he had made a huge mistake on the bid...so I would say there are as many low price guys as anywhere else. If you can get in on bidding LDS churches (Mormon) this could really help Ive been doing this for years and have made some decent money...altough I wont get rich mowing for them...they are never late in paying dont ask questions about the bill and pay well for add-ons...another thin the season is short about 6.5 to 7 months..im sure you get a longer season in Atlanta

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I am an ex. LCO of a different area and am now working at a dealer in Salt Lake. There seems to be enough competition, and I have thought about opening one here. Alot of scrubs though!
    The LDS churchs have some outside work done and some inside, so dont rely on them. Alot of condos and gated comm. are being built, which is different for this area, that all need lawn and snow done.
    I think you will be fine opening a business here.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There MUST be alot of them down there, because I always hear that's where all the MOWERmans are from. :laugh:

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Luv2fly,

Lots of competition here. On a average day you will pass around 15 other LCO's out working and that's on a tight route. Most of them are pulling just one or two 21" mowers, one trimmer , and one blower on a small unmarked trailer. I passed a guy two weeks ago working out of the trunk of his car. He was mowing high-end homes, I was blown away.

The season is short: starts in mid April and runs until mid October. Summers get hot, temps average in the high 90's in June-July and we typically run a few weeks in the 100's in late July through mid August. Humidity is generally very low.

Yards are typically 1/3 to 1/4 acre lots, and most of them are fenced, so you'll need small equipment to get through the gates. There are some 1/2 acre and 1 acre lots but they are not as common as the smaller ones.

Average yard can go from $20 to $30. There are too many people out there trying to do it on the side and they are keeping prices low. Some are even below $20 just to get the business.

There are a lot of kids in this state so it's not hard for people to find some kid who wants to earn extra money during the summer. Also, wages in this state are low and there are a lot of middle class people who are tight with the pocket book.

You'll run into a ton of people who want the lawn cut every other week because their to cheap to pay for it weekly even though it needs it weekly and then it takes you twice as long because the machines struggle to get through the long grass.

Hope that gives you some idea of what it's like out here.

6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

GF grew up in Salt Lake. She says it has a poverty mentality to the whole area. I guess that would come from every family having seven kids and are forced to "donate" so much of their income so they can swell the ranks and coffers of the mormon church. I am not quite sure what the number seven has to do with anything but will look into that today.

I like to learn something new everyday and this could be the question of the day. lol

7. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

I was reading through this site and had to log on in defense of my faith. We mormons are taught to be thrifty. I just so happen to have 6 other siblings we lived fine and comfortable. My father made three figures for most of my youth but still looked for a good deal. There is nothing wrong with haveing children I'm 26 and have 4. I don't ask anyone help feeding them. One of the main reasons I chose to start my own company is so I can spend more time with my family. If the rest of the guys in the world would go home glad to spend time with their children instead of looking foward to a 12 pack at the end of the day I think the world would be a better places. I'm sorry I don't mean to get on here and vent but you guys start taking about someones faith and children and you don't understand what your talking about. You talk of poverty do you know the church has its own welfare system which it requires those receiceing help to work it off. Our church goes into other countries to teach them how to grow food and raise livestock instead of just sending food. Insult me all you want but dont go cutting down what others beleive in just because what your gf told you.

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Question for you updog. How do you follow the book of mormon, knowing it was supposedly translated from ancient scrolls that were then taken back to heaven by moroni, by the self-proclaimed prophet who also claimed to have translated the book of abraham which has been shown to be wrong? Please correct me if I am wrong in these matters.

Also, what is the big deal about having seven kids?

9. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

Nothing I could say to you would make you satisfied with my belief's. If you have to be shown proof of everything from God where would faith be. You seem to just want to cause contention here this is a site for landscaping and lawncare not religious debate. If all you have to do is berate others for their belief's you are a sad human being. The seven children thing that is a commandment from God look it up.

10. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

This is not a religious forum. Leave the Mormon church alone and keep it to lawn care.