Salt on grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MJ, Jul 12, 2001.

1. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Need some advise. Last winter I got stuck pushing snow. Snow turned to ice under the tires so I used some sand/salt. Now I've got a bare patch. I've dumped some topsoil, LOTS of Kentucky Bluegrass and watered. Just a few blades are growing. Haven't told the wife why nothing wants to grows there. I'd like to keep living. Any ideas to neutralize the salt?

Thanks.

2. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

Hey MJ,

Maybe this will help, maybe not. But what have you got to lose?;)

Salt is sodium chloride, which forms sodium hydroxide when water is added to it. Sodium hydroxide is a base, so to get the pH closer to neutral (7) you'd have to add acid.

Do a pH test on your soil, then add the right amount of acidic stuff (maybe azalea fertilizer) to get the pH back into balance.

Your local extension service can help with this.

-- Barbara

3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Barbara,

Salt and water make Sodium Hydroxide ?

Sodium Hydroxide is alkali , but are you sure that Sodium Chloride and water will make it.

Sodium Hydroxide is found in oven cleaners, drain cleaners, metal polish, and Lye. It is also used as an addative for photo chemistry and should be handles with heavy rubber gloves and goggles. Mixing salt and water does not need a hazmat safety label no matter how strong you mix it (maybe for corrosive properties, but heck, cocacola syrup needs that)--see link below

http://health.yahoo.com/health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Sodium_hydroxide/

As far as what to do, the easiest thing is to remove the soil with a shovel down 4-6 inches, replace with topsoil, and sod or reseed. If it is a small area just sod it (it's only a couple bucks for a10 square foot piece). The lime will take up to 6 months to neutralize any damage that was done to the soil even at a heavy rate of 50 lbs/1000 ft2.---it's not an overnight process.

jeffyr

4. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

Hey jeffyr,

I didn't say the sodium hydroxide that resulted needed a hazmat certificate. LOL! A weak solution that you can get your hands in, is enough to kill grass.

Anyway the idea was to get others to respond so we can help solve a problem the best way, right?

Lighten up! It doesn't bother me that you might think I'm an idiot.

TM:p

5. jeffyr

Wooooo Mom,

I never suggested you or anyone of the members on this board is an idiot----and I am responding just as you did. Email and message boards lack the tonal quality that a voice has and I think maybe I was misread.

I have dealt with Sodium Hydroxide in the workplace for 13 years and know how dangerous it is.

I also have no idea if Sodium Chloride and water will make it, which is why I posted " Sodium Hydroxide is alkali , but are you sure that Sodium Chloride and water will make it. "

jeffyr

6. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

jeffyr,

You're right, I had it backwards -- NaOH + HCl = NaCL + HOH. ooooops

:blush:

TM

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't sweat it, Jeffyr, she's just a tad sensitive. ;) Yet she is willing to help out, no doubt about that! Just watch it, though, she's good with the math stuff. Chemistry, I'm not too sure about, but math, yeah. :D

I think as far as the salt goes, you're going to have to replace the soil. Just wish I woulda had results that you apparently got. I salted a field and it didn't seem to do squat. So I gotta figger out how to get it dead.

8. jeffyr

CSRA,

Try sodium Hydroxide !

:D

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Here I go, gonna get about 200 lbs of Drano!

10. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

You guys are too funny!~ Maybe it comes with the given name... ;)

And poor MJ is left wondering why he asked the question in the first place! :p

TM