Salt Price Increase

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Alan, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Alan

Alan Member

We're getting bagged with a pretty major price increase on bulk salt up here in VT as of 01-01-01. Price is going from $60/ton to $68/ton. That kinda hits where it hurts as almost all my salt goes onto contract jobs. And I wasn't bright enough to have a cost increase clause in there. The most I've ever seen in the past was a couple years ago it went from $60 to $63 in mid season. Is anybody else seeing a price increase, particularly from Cargil?

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Well... no price increase here, just a shortage. We never get this much snow so fast in the season. The place I buy from is empty until a week or two into January.

-Tim

3. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

No increase to mention here (Pgh, Pa.). Still $39.75/ton.

4. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

How can I find a place to buy bulk salt in indianapolis indiana?

5. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I PAID 34.50 A TON IN SEPTEMBER I GOT THE BLUE SALT FROM MORTON,AND MY MOMS BOYFRIEND LET ME USE HIS TANDEM AXLE DUMP TO HAUL IT IN IT COSTED 650 FOR 20 TONS, I DONT THINK I GOT RIPED OFF, I ALSO BOUGHT A PALLET OF 25# HALITE BAGS FOR 1.25 A BAG, VERRY HANDY SIZE, I GOT ENOUGH FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON (I HOPE)ABOUT 8 TONS IF I NEED MORE I AM GONNA PAY OUT THE REAR FOR IT, I CALLED TODAY AND FOUND OUT THAT THEY WANTED 82.70 A TON DELIVERED OR 80.00 PICKED UP

[Edited by plow kid on 01-02-2001 at 12:04 AM]

6. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Supply and Demandtheory in full effect here....

Major salt usage due to bad snow out in the midwest and areas like Texas, arkansas and the rest of the buried areas.

Now add to that a saltmine shaft collapse and reported by John Allin,in another thread, and you have a rapidly shrinking supply, with an ever increasing demand as winter progresses.

Look for prices to keep going up as supply drops.

Don't think Home Depot will be giving away free bulk salt anymore like they were doing in NY the other day.