1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Salt Pricing 2

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by John Allin, Jan 17, 2001.

1. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious.

I'm interested in what different parts of the country are paying for salt. Not what WE, as contractors are paying - I can read what's on the forum.....

I'm curious what customers are paying.... what we are charging. And, I'm talking parking lot salting - not sidewalks.

Now... I don't need anyone to give away trade secrets or their pricing strategies to competitors that might be on here... but how about a "range" of what's being charged in the different markets ??

In my market, customers that are paying "by the ton" are paying anywhere from $95/ton to $135/ton - delivered and spread (labor and truck included). I know that we have a MINIMUM stop charge of $45 if part of a regular route, and $95 if we are "called out, special".

How about your markets ??
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

For my commercial customers, sand and salt is included in the seasonal price.

When I did my contracts I figured $150/ton for mix. Labor and materials. One account will use a ton+ if the whole lot is necessary to be treated but it is oriented such that usually only the "hill" (and the only shaded constantly section) is needed to be treated.

The per occurrence accounts (driveways) are small enough that the total amount used is negligible. And they are only sanded during ice storms which are charged same as a 0-4 storm.

During an ice event I will use ~ 2T of sand/salt mix total which will cover 3 parking lots and 40 driveways for a material cost of $60. 1 truck, one trip to the supplier.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I've been told $80 (yes $80) to $225 per ton. This does include bagged salt and bulk.

Depending on the temps and amount of precip. we use about 45 tons, all by the ton.

[Edited by Mark Oomkes on 01-17-2001 at 11:16 AM]

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i charge a fixed fee to salt each time some times i put more down it evens out over the long run

in this manner i get 250 to 300 per ton which is average in my area.......many charge per pound but unless it is bagged there is no real way to measure amount applied.... the per pound price ranges from .12 to .15 per pound there are a few at .20 per pound

i am sure lots over an acre or so that use multiple tonnage per visit are much lower in end customer cost

my lots are between 10,000 and 60,000 sq./ft
  5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Obviously every market is different, as is the approach that different contractors take towards ice control. As I've posted in the past, we bill our customers for plowing based on a seasonal charge that's billed monthly. This January thaw is a welcome break to be sure. For salting we charge "per application", and not "per ton". Salting is our profit-maker and we don't like to include it with our seasonal plowing amount, nor do we like to employ a "per ton" amount, because we may use more or less salt on any given visit depending upon conditions.

Having said that, we are $300+ per ton if I were to break it down that way. Straight salt, bagged.
  6. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

We have approximately 500,000 square feet of parking and access roads.

We pay a flat rate of $375.00 per load of straight salt (approx. 2 tons) applied. Obviously,depending on the type and intensity of the storm, sometimes it takes 2 loads, sometimes we have applied as many as 6 during and after a storm.

This of course does not include sidewalks and patios. our inhouse staff is using magic salt on the walks for the first time. We ordered 6 pallets at the beginning of the season, have used maybe two pallets of magic and one of calcium chloride(left over from last year) so far.

[Edited by JCurtis on 01-17-2001 at 12:42 PM]
  7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Our prices very for Magic salt anywhere from $150. to $275 per yard, depending if you are a regular or not.Maybe more if I can get it.
  8. Alan

Alan Member

I find that my pricing varies some, depending on how much of a pain it is to maneuver on the lot, etc., smaller lots pay a higher rate (per ton) than big ones do. I price it all by the application, rather than by the ton, too hard to try to figure how much went where. I'm seeing somewhere in the $150-180 range on the average. I know it's probably sloppy of me but I can't narrow it down much more than that.
  9. Majestic

Majestic LawnSite Member

Were charging ten dollars per 100 lb.thats 240.oo per ton.Not having any problems with system.Amount used is pretty close since we only use tailgate spreaders with bagged salt.Will move into bulk within the next year or two.Were about 25 mile north of Pgh.Pa and that seems to be about average,(Except for those couple lowballers who undercut everyone.
  10. HC

HC LawnSite Member

We charge an application fee which varies on the size of lot. Generally $40.00 for a small business lot. Then we charge $40.00 per 100lbs of Magic salt on top. For regular salt when we can't find Magic salt we charge $20.00 per 100lbs and double the amount we spread to achieve the same effect.