1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Salt/sand pricing

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by DaveO, Jan 2, 2001.

1. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

I have a small commercial account that sometimes requires salt/sand applied. The lot is mostly shaded by trees, so the sun doesn't melt much. I am really not set up to provide this service as of now, only have a small tailgate spreader(salt only), that breaks more than it works.

How much would you charge to salt/sand a 250x100' lot? I am trying to decide whether to "sub" it out, or buy equipment to do it myself.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I charge $0.20 a pound for Rocksalt applied. I have a tailgate spreader and I pay $0.065 per pound in 80lb bags. I would just salt with the spreader and get a few bags of sand and hurl it out with a hand scoop in the bad areas. Sometimes my Halite comes with small black rocks mixed into it. They really provide good traction. I think that unless you have a lot of salting, and nearby access to alot of bulk salt, a V-box or dump spreader is just overkill. What do you guys do when you have extra left in the box? I only cut open a pour in what I need, and when storm is over, I stack bags in the garage.

I'd probably spread 600 lbs or so on that lot and charge them $120.00. My cost $40. Takes 5 min to load, 5 min to spread. Total time 15 mins. That works out to $300.00/hr or $5.34/min.

3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Dave I would say about the same $120-135. per time sand and salt is a big money maker considering you don't have to spend alot of time on it.I got a small 10cu ft spreader but it does wet sand too and belive me you can make good money doing it this is my second year and now it's all profit.Don't sub if you don't have to.
  4. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Is that spreader a tailgate unit? Who makes it, and how much $$. Seems like anything worth buyin is about

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i wouls stick with bagged material a small bit easier to store if you do not need much, but i can say if you can put it together make the move to bulk when your route can support it, my profits doubled from the good money i made off of bagged before.you can also give better coverage without beating yourself up over that extra bag that a lot needed here in oh a bag is between 4 and 5 dollars(80 lb) the same amount in bulk is 1.00 to 1.50 you do the math

yes there is more investment in bulk but after only two months i can tell you i will never go back
  6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

You are right on the money with that comment.

first year plowing for me and I purchased a tailgate spreader (buyers) because it was what I could afford before the season started.

Now after afater one month of salting, I just purchased an airflo mss that rocks with bulk salt.

I wish I would have read your post a month ago.

7. cat320

Dave it's a fisher speed casterII and it ran about $2,200 not installed here at brake and clutch in salem ,Ma and it mounts under the truck using a reciver hitch supplied in the kit or you can have it mounted in the pick up bed .does a great job with small lots. if you need any more info i can fax the sheet i got from the dealer not alot of info or look it up under fisher web site they have the same info on it as the sheet.
  8. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Thanx for the info. Have heard of that place. They used to supply Madden Ford with all their plows. I remember seeing over 30 F350's set up with min mounts couple years ago on his lot, just waitin to be sold.

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Some one give me a call if you are interested in a airflow MSS. I have one for sale, used three times that I will let go for 1400.00 and a line on an older one that should be able to be sold for about 1K.
  10. cat320

Dave glad i could be of help to you.Brake and clutch had many 350-450 and 550's there too in there lot.I was like a kid in the candy store with all those new truck set ups.I think that they hace a web site but not sure.