1. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Stupid but serious Q:

Anyone ever ketch someone taking salt from your pile or bags from one of your pallets

[i think someone is taking some of my salt]

[Edited by plow kid on 01-28-2001 at 07:45 PM]

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for reminding me! Someone stole some salt from my broken down truck that was parked at the local garagegas station that I use. This guy told the guys pumping gas (they know me well & tried to tell him not to) that we were friends & that we share a yard together & that I would be OK with it. Never heard of the guy before this, so thanks for reminding me to pay my old friend a visit ;) Haven't heard anything but bad comments about the guy while trying to track him down. I've heard of it happening in the past here & there.

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My salt and salt/sand mix is locked up. However it doesn't take much to break into the building. Garage doors are easy to force, I would think.

Geoff

4. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Just don't understand people that are too sorry to work for what they want. Good luck catching up to your "friend".

5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Three years ago we caught two employees running a nice little 'side business' doing sidewalks, using our equipment and our salt (bagged).

It is one of the few times we actually filed charges and prosecuted an employee for theft.

They plead guilty and got probation.

6. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you, John for following through. Sometime you just can't be "the nice guy" and you have to make a point. A lot of us have friends who do work for us but in a situation like that they are still, after all, an employee.

7. FifthAve

FifthAve Guest

I know my plow drivers in the winter do there own homes and take a few bags of salt hear and there- but help is so hard to find and the work is getting done so am I gonna ***** about a couple of bucks? I dont but i would like to-what can you do? It not easy to find guys to plow for you and shovel all hours of the night

8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I guess I am lucky.

Side walk trucks go back to the shop each night. That brings back all the bagged stuff. If the trucks got a spreader on it, it spends the night in a heated garage.

I have some plow trucks that go home. However at the end of the shift the employee is too tired to do any more. If he picks up anything it will be residential, so I am not too worried. After 16 hours after the storm is over most stuff is done.

Had one employee who's route used to take 18 hours, because he had 2 lots he did with my truck. When an insurance claim came through for damaged landscape, I found out. He got fired, haven't had a problem after that.

Geoff

9. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Plow Kid,
    Maybe it is the early bird taking your salt!!!

10. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

We have one salt pile stored on site,due to the amount of salt required,and the distance to reload.It is in the corner of the mall,tarped at all times.Pretty much every time we go by,someone has been into it,especially with the shortage lately.It's just cheaper to leave it on site,and lose a little bit,rather than run trucks back and forth all the time.We have a tractor on site to load with anyways.Don't mind if they take a few buckets,just put the tarp back on !!