SALT WATER and Cool Season Turf Germination

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jlbf0786, Nov 2, 2009.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

I am working on my semester project, and i've chosen to do it on the effects of salt water on cool-season turf germination.

I've chosen to use these 3 species for the trials: (Tall Fescue, Perennial Rye, Kentucky Blue)

Have any of you guys near the coast had any experience with cool season turf and the seed germination rates and outcomes..???

There are a few varieties on the net that i just found.
    - Tarheel II (tall fescue) developed in NC
    - Moonlight SLT (kentucky blue)
    - Brightstar SLT (perennial rye)

All 3 had high germination rates, but has anyone out there had any "hands on experience" w/ any of these? - or another variety?

Any/all feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks

JB
    Charlotte NC

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never observed or heard any discussion amongst landscapers about any difference at all in germination on ocean front sites compared with more inland sites. Do you guys notice a difference down there?

3. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have anything too specific for you. what i can say is that the lawns we service that are right on the water, we include an application of gypsum to keep the salt index in check.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that from salt in the groundwater, coastal flooding, or from ocean spray?

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

For us its the spray mostly. The lawns I do are not subject to subsurface salt water leeching but I have heard guys tell they have had issues with it.