salt ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by slabpile, Jun 1, 2001.

1. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

Hey guys
    what are you using for weeds comming up in crushed stone drip edges? I have always just spayed with round up but the other day some one asked if i had ever heard of using salt. not me how about all of you?:confused:

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We use different forms of soil sterilants for drip lines, crack in driveways, etc..
    Just be positive you don't want to grow any ornamentals there for a long time. You may want to try Vegemec by Gordons. It is a liquid and way cheaper than Round-up.

3. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

A little bit of history . . . The Romans used to salt the fields of areas that they did not want to be inhabited for some time. The salt will keep most things from growing, but will eventually go away. Carthage got done twice, if I remember rightly.

Alan

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

salt also MOVES. check out where the runoff will end up. vegemec is cool. Dave g

5. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Using salt may be the "in" thing to use because the anti pesticide, organic and green people believe it is the non chemical non toxic method. But I would rather use something like round up that is tested, approved and becomes inert when contacting soil than applieng salt that burns everything it contacts, moves with the water and probably causes more enviromental problems and is not registered for this type of use

6. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

The Eco Terrorists have done a great job of convincing people that if it is a 'Chemical' that it is bad, but naturally occuring chemicals (ie NaCl) are O.K. Salt is incredibly toxic. I wish that I could find the LD50 of salt, but remember that it was quite low.

Alan

7. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

If memory serves me right salt has a LD50 of about 3000.
    Roundup has a rating of >5000 in the undiluted form and if used at 2% that would make a LD50 of 250000 for the final spray solution if my calculations are right. What is safer for the enviroment the eco terrorist method or the responsible pest control operator!

Some of the home remedies I have heard that supposidly are safer for the enviroment just make me shudder.

8. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

thanks all. i agree with you all but i wanted to see if i was missing something. appently not