1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

salten walkways

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Feb 4, 2001.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Went buy a college yesterday and saw a maintmance guy salting the walkways. He had bulk salt in the back of a pick up. What he and another guy would do, is use a grain scoop, scoop up some salt. Then start walking down the walkway flicking a little salt off the scoop with a gloved hand, as they walked. Looked like It worked very well, or they have a lot of practice. Maybe something to try, if your walkways are too narrow for a spreader.

2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

What about using a little hand held spreader.

I just salt 2 walks right now about 30 ft each, that is what I use, no problems. I just make sure I wash it out good after plowing for the day.
  3. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

Geoff I use a similar method when doing walks,I use a five gallon pail and flick it out as I walk.Using a walkbehind spreader is a pain in the a$$.
  4. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

i use the round 60# earthway spreader for walks and close the two side chutes
    great for the back and no waste of salt
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have been using the grain scoop and spackle bucket for years for the Mag or Calcium on walks. Sure beats carring around a fert spreader in the bed. The hand spreaders with the hand crank dont put enough material down and are too slow for my tastes. My galvanized grain scoop is at least 20 years old and is still basically rust free! Have gone through many buckets though.