Salter brands

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Doug406, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

What brand of v box has everyone found to be the best quality etc. Aluminum is out because of majic right?

2. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

Hyway- Stainless Steel

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I like airflow, however the best is............
    Smith Stainless Steel. Priced right, and electric drive, quiet and effecient. No gas, maint, or cold mornings that the engine wont start. You buy it for about the price of a mild steel with gas engine.
    No one makes an aluminum v box I dont think??
    Dino

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Swenson builds a tough spreader. It is also sold under the Meyer/Diamond name. I buy steel spreaders because i don't keep them over 5 or 6 years. However if you plan on keeping it a long time, a stainless steel would be a better choice.

I will say that i am so impressed with my hydro controlled under the tailgate spreaders. That all my spreaders will be hydros, after this winter i will know for sure, but i am almost posistive they are the way to go. I think even a hydro v-box isn't a bad idea, and the hydro system can be used a a back up plow hydro systems, with streight blades. I am sure you could use a central hydro system on a v-plow, only there are a lot more flow lines that must be connected.

BTW, you can get a swenson in Hydro and engine driven.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 10-18-2000 at 03:09 AM]

5. Alan

Alan Member

Only two more lines and an extra DA valve.

6. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Duh, your right, only 2 more lines. However it's would be easy to get the couplers mixed up, unless ya color coded them all.

Geoff

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Most companies make a hydro option. Most of us dont have central hydro's on our trucks. The cost to install and locate on newer light duty trucks is prohibitive. I think you have to at least get the 550 before central hydro is a viable alternative.
    Curtis makes a 5 hp unit that runs a hydro pump. Only one controller tho, never used one so cant offer an opinion.
    Dino

8. Alan

Alan Member

>>However it's would be easy to get the couplers mixed up, unless ya color coded them all. <<

Naw,, five lines total, one in the center is lift, that leaves two pair, reverse the coupler sections on one hose in each pair. Or just set them up so they match the plow cylinder ports, outer hose to outer connection and work your way across.

9. Guest

One Air-Flow mild steel sander, one Fisher mild steel sander both 2 yd sanders. And one 8yd AirFlow mild steel sander.

10. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Dino

Like, i have said before, i am currently in the process of putting v-boxes on F 550s. However i am going to phase this in, when the a truck with a v-boxes (F 350 Dumps) is to be replaced it will be replaced with a F 550, and get a V-box. I will make up my mind on hydro after this winter.

I will keep some F 350 dumps in the fleet, however they will only be plow trucks. All sanding/salting equipment will be on F 550s and up.

The payload on and towing ablity is attractive. However those ablilties are not required for every truck.

Geoff