1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Salter..what makes sense??

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by RB, Dec 30, 2000.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a '90 ford 350 dump 4x4, manual. It has a 8.5 meyer but doesn't have a salter.

This truck will only plow a handful of commercial lots and I'll only spread about 1 ton per run. What kind of spreader make the most sense? Under the tailgate or a v?

I found a used under the tailgate buyers ($600), but I have a feeling that this type of spreader is better suited for roads and not small lots (30,000 sq. ft), I don't know though.

Does an under the tailgate spreader for a dump body work as well as a v box?

Also, if I'm missing anything in making my decision please let me know.

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess an under-tailgate spreader would be a good bet for a dump. Although, I have no experience with them. A V-box would also work well, but I would think the under-tailgate one would take up less space when storing, and I'd guess it would cost a little less.

3. Dusty

Dusty LawnSite Member

I am partial to the V type. Ease of operation and the additional weight when plowing are my reasons. Fill it once and you can do a lot of sanding/salting.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

The nice thing about under the tailgate is that you can still use the dump box for hauling anything else you might need to--you don't tie up your truck. They do work very nice because you can really spread under cars good. We have one and a V-type, they both have their place.
  5. Alan

Alan Member

I've got three spreaders, an undertailgate on a 5 yd dump, a 1.4 yd vee box on a K2500 and a 10 cu. ft. poly hopper which is currently unemployed but will be riding the rear of an S-10 in the near future. If I could only have one, it would be the undertailgate on the dump truck. I'm not plowing with the 5 yd yet, but will have it plow equipped soon, which will save having to make two trips in some places. If I had a 1-ton sized dump truck that was plow equipped I would definately have an undertailg spreader on it. The central hydraulics to run the spreader are kinda pricey unless you use them to run everything else as well.
  6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My vote is Under the tailgate. Unless you can easily unload your v-box.

7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

thanx guys. Geoff, you're right, I don't have the ability to unload the v easily.
  8. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Am I understanding Alan's post correctly that the only way to power an under tailgate spreader is with hydraulics??? If so, what does it cost to install the hydraulics, ballpark figure?

I am gong to need a V or dump for salt next year, so I want to plan ahead, explore options.
  9. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

the last one i did was $4500.00 for hyd. a v box cost less i do like the under tailgate. shop around for price.
  10. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Holy sheesh! $4500??? I knew I wanted an electric V box spreader. :)