Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by lawnboyil, Feb 9, 2001.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

ok i have skimmed the post for some thing that could tell me how to price a large plowing/salting job.Either didnt find it or didnt look long enought. but I have to salt a lot that is about 25000 sq ft. and i need some idea as to how or what to charge for priceing. we planing on getting a v-box or tall gate spereader. any help there to would be helpful.

thank you

2. Chip52

Chip52 LawnSite Member

Tough call, Lawnboy!

You need to know your costs! There really is no rule of thumb, other than knowing your costs. I currently use bagged salt (YUCK!), next year I will have a V-spreader myself. I have seen salt go at 10 cents a pound, but you have to "guesstimate" the amount used. In otherwords, $200/ton spread!
    Look at your costs of doing business first!
  3. lawnboyil

we know the price on salt 3.40 per 80lb of +5 salt just figure sq ft of the salt and add the equipment in ?????? i know what your saying but how do you figure the cost of the equipment we know what the plow truck is going for but what would a spreader run to operate? that is it dont know?

4. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

I think what you are asking is "how to charge"
    We charge by the pound, in my area I have seen anything
    from .25 per pound with and service charge of $25
    to a flat rate of 45 cents per pound. I'm in central
    Ohio out of the northern snow belt that might make a differance on pricing, and you have to know your overhead
    like all of the above post have mentioned
    hope this helps

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Here is how I charge using my Western Tailgate spreader. I have one account that required salt to get the contract. Priced them out at $.30 a pound to cover salter cost. No minimum charge. If I use over 300 lbs. in a storm I knock them down to $.25. One longstanding customer uses 800+ per call but only when they call. They get the royal treatment at $.20 a pound. They also got 8 tons of ag lime for the last call. Out of the blue call ins are pretty much at that $.30 rate. Have paid for my salter twice over already. Salt costs me $3.25 a bag by the pallet loaded in my truck 10 minutes from home. this has proven to be lucrative and I think that $.25 to $.30 a lb. is about right.
  6. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 LawnSite Member

I'm a little closer to you than Chip52 is. There is way too much competition around here to charge $200.00 per ton spread. That is a sure way to lose the job. Going rates around here are between $105.00 to $165.00 per ton spread. The only way to go is to spread with a V-box using bulk material. I can spread and get paid with profit for what it costs Chip52 to fill and spread 1 ton of salt with his gate spreader using bagged salt. If you want some profit buy a V-box.
    Sincerely, Northwestplower1

P.S. I charge 150.00 per ton spread. (on average) and that is how you word it on: contracts, proposals, and estimates. Email me for more info
  7. lawnboyil

thank you i have a much better idea on how i should attempt to price it on the salting

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

That shows how regional snow and ice control is. We charge by the application, not by the ton. As you might guess our per rate applied is running between 4-500 a ton minimum. But that is how customers are acustomed to it around here.
  9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Dino's right, try to talk with other contractors in your area to get a better idea on your market. Definitely talk to Northwest if he's close to you. I'm using bagged material & I charge my customers $20.0050# bag. When you do the math it comes to $800.00 per ton. The one thing I did change this year was to give a complete application rate, which is a better deal for my customers. But that pricing comes to around $15.00bag. The other thing I do is use bulk whenever possible to increase my profit margin. My prices I have found to be a little higher than the average in my area, which means there are still plenty of contractors getting more than me here.
  10. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Here I charge 20 cents per pound and found that I am the middle guy. I know of a couple of guys charging 14-15 cents a pound and another charging 26 cents per pound. Salt here is $53 per ton or $3.40 per 80lb bag. Only when we use more than 1200 lbs per lot do we discount the rate to 16 cents per pound. Next year we will have a rate hike on most of our accounts. Probably 22 cents.