Same Contractor Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Nov 1, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Earlier I posted some pics regarding a QC line break at a site where a contractor had installed new septic lines. Well... another section let loose today. 2" pipe was so bowed that it came loose from a tee today as our grounds guys were adding soil to the sewer trenches and floating dirt out over the area. The pipe was originally 2" poly that was only about 8" deep. One section had been pushed down nearly two feet from the contractor backfilling and wheel packing with his backhoe. When I cut out the tee the three sections of pipe srung in different directions.

Packwood QC Line Break #2 WP-01.jpg

Packwood QC Line Break #2 WP-02.jpg

Packwood QC Line Break #2 WP-03.jpg

Packwood QC Line Break #2 WP-04.jpg

Packwood QC Line Break #2 WP-05.jpg

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I may be wrong but those joints look over primed and over glued.That can cause weakening of the pipes where they are joined.Also is not 1' or more deep code?

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its definitly not over glued, but there is a lot of primer.

Primer flashes off very quickly, only leaving a purple die, it won't weaken the pipe.

Hayes, looks familiar to some of the stuff I did today (contractor dozed out a huge chunk of mainline to build a shop).

Good job on using the 90's to not need a repair coupling :)

4. PurpHaze

Like Jon said we've never had problems with the primer. If you're doing an inspected job the inspector requires that he can see the primer beyond the joint without having to get down on his hands and knees. Fortunately I'm my own inspector. :)

You can't see the original pipe too well in the pictures but it was put in probably 45 years ago, is roll-out PE and was measured at about 9" deep. Since this is a school site there really aren't too many codes that we have to adhere to as far as pipe depth is concerned.

5. PurpHaze

In the war between dozers and irrigation pipe I'll bet on the dozer every time. :p

The 90's also took some of the remaining stress off the pipe which helped out at the tee side. The longest section is 16' and since the trensh was completely opened by our Bobcat backhoe we were able to glue a bell end of 2" to the one end and then bow the pipe into the tee. Unusual in that no compression couplers needed to be used. We then compacted under all the repairs as we backfilled, giving the whole thing solid ground to lay on.

6. PurpHaze

Had my partner go out today to turn the backflow on and check our repairs. They were fine but another leak showed up. He did some exploratory digging and discovered another broken tee and collapsed pipe in two directions. I was in training (new computer work order system) up until noon and then went out to check on progress. Looks like we'll have to backhow this one too and do a major repair. Backhoe isn't available until Friday so things will have to wait until then.

Also found out that a contractor building a new restroom at our older stadium complex put his backhoe through a 4" HDPE pipe that was clearly marked and had warning tape. Since I was in training session I understand that it caused quite a lake flooding their construction area before the backflow could be turned off. May get out of having to repair this one because the whole section of main line might have to be rerouted out of the building's way due to a lack of planning. It'll need butt fusioning and we don't have the equipment or training for this.

Seems like all I've turned into lately is a sub-contractor following around other contractors. :dizzy:

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

butt fusioning?

8. PurpHaze

Two ends of pipe are "welded" together.

9. PurpHaze

Here we go (went) again. Repaired this one today. Will turn backflow back on Monday and hope there's NOT a break #4. :dizzy:

Packwood Sewer Construction QC Line Break #3 WP-01.jpg

Packwood Sewer Construction QC Line Break #3 WP-02.jpg