same estimate again!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by supercuts, Apr 29, 2007.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

anyone have that repeat customer calling for an estimate every year?? i just got a call from the same guy every year for the past 3 years. the guy hardly speaks english, i think he owns a 7-11, and each year i go out, he wastes my time and when i drive by he is always mowing it himself. this year i'm going to politely give him an estimate and tell him to accept it or stop calling every year. im sick of it.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

yep! I have a guy who had contacted me the last 4 years in a row by email asking for quotes for mowing, lawn apps, mulching, and shrub trimming. Every year I have given him a price for these services and every year he continues to do it himself. This years email even included a copy of last years email estimate I sent him...... "These were the prices you gave me last year... what would the 2007 season prices be?"

I didnt even waste my time with him this year. I think its a game for some people..... either that or they are bored and lonely.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing much you can do, either by the 2nd time they call for the same thing I make sure the price goes up by at least 20% (and keep going up, if they call a 3rd time it's a 50% hike), or perhaps a short letter saying 'I'm sorry but having considered the requirements I'm afraid I can not help you at this time / thank you for the opportunity...'
    Thou I'm also guessing since we still go out to look might be part of the reason they still call :laugh:
    Half the time I can remember the original estimate, and I don't move either, just add 20% and send it in.

But do go up, if I have to go out and quote a price for the same work again, I always raise the price.
    Same case applies for folks who like to call me about a month or so later.

4. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

I have a couple of people that do this. Its like they think that prices will never go up. But I treat these people like one time mows and raise the price every time. I usually get, "Why did the price go up?" and "I guess at these prices you must not have many customers?" :hammerhead: :laugh:

5. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

is he a towel head?

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

would you like a slurpy with that?

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

They could be getting estimates for friends that are in the Lawn and Landscape business also.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

:the guy hardly speaks english, i think he owns a 7-11" There is the problem to start with. I avoid "these" people like HIV! When I hear that particular accent the conversation ends right there.

9. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

After the third year of estimates, i would politely underbid the hell out of it. I would never show up, of course, and try to string him out as long as possible. When it hits about 9 inches tall, i would say, "I'm sorry, I got alot of customers wanting to pay full price for lawn care, I'm booked solid.":laugh:

Always make time to get even. You will sleep better, and enjoy this business more.....:clapping:

10. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

I'd tell him estimates are $50.