Same info wrong guy

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by diggerman, Sep 13, 2000.

1. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Why is it that everytime a new guy asks a question reguarding the ability of a certain piece of equipment to do plow work it seems like they get the same answer.Usually it is some big over priced truck that involves major year round over head to maintain,that will strap them for cash and limit them to one piece of equipment.Most of the plow trucks I own are 3/4 and 1tons and did not cost me more than $6000 plus plow,I can out fit 3 to 4 trucks for the price of a new Ford 550 or Chevy 3500.I have very little trouble with my trucks and most are daily drivers for my employees.It seem that the standared answer reflects very little knowlage of the condition or potential of a askers bussiness.I often sit and scroll through many of the forums here and see very little concern for cash flow,or the true cost of owning new equipment.Even if you can afford new equipment that does not necessarily justify buying new,unless of course it is an ego thing. Personally I drive a new ford ranger I like it and will get another newer truck next time but that is my daily driver I have no other vehicle I use to haul my kids,run errands,etc.So can someone help see the light reguarding all the HOO-HA over new as a standard response to the "what do I get questions".

2. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

well one reason for using RELIABLE NEW EQUIPMENT would be that I secured a large shop this year (near a 20,000 contract because the last contractors were not showing up on time.
    Could it be the junk $5,000 1982 chevys that broke down? Well, that is what the supervisor said. "What kind of equipment do you run, is it new?" "We will be willing to pay for quality, instead of the rust buckets the last guys used !.
    Thats one reason.

3. diggerman

from Iowa

Doesn't sound like a equipment problem but a maintenance and schedualing and finally a perception problem.I have a 85 blazer it never misses a snow and is often requested over the newer stuff so I'm not buying that as a good reason to buy new. I hired help one year his truck was a new Dodge with new blade,he missed parts of three snows because he was in the shop. New trucks do not assure no troubles.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with you Diggerman. I had a 1985 F250 that I bought as a temporary vehicle in a snow storm, because my Bronco had a broken axle. I ended up driving and using that 1985 for 4 years and sold it for what I paid for it. The guy I sold it to is still driving it 3 years later. The main reason I sold it is, the clutch was killing me in big snow storms and I wanted an automatic. I looked all over for a good used truck and they wanted almost as much as a new truck, so I got a new 1997 HD F250 for 2,000 more than one with 10,000 miles on it. New doesn't mean it won't break down, but I've been lucky and it's been a good one. :)

5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i think buying a new truck for plowing is just peice of mind that it is less likely to break down...i bought a new truck because that was u know what your getting, if u buy a used truck u never know what might happen. The transmission might be one hard storm away from giving way, not to say this couldnt happin with a brand new truck but it is less likely.....On my tuck i have the 5 yr/75000 mile warrenty, which i have allready had to take advandage of.

6. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I agree with you both too. One of the biggest problems of getting started in business is going into debt or creating substantial overhead (trust me, I know this from many unfortunate past experiences). When revenue decreases because business slows or an unexpected expense comes up, it can be a killer of new businesses. Last year I bought a new Chevy 1 ton dually dumptruck and plow for over $30K and the payments were over $700/month. It was one of the stupidest decisions I ever made. As I think back, $30K would have easily bought 3-4 trucks and plows; not in perfect condition, but with a little mechanic work, they would run fine and get us thru the winter. Sometimes you have to borrow money to expand and operate your buisness to maintain cash flow. However, it sure is alot easier to sleep at night knowing that most or all of your equipment is paid for. I think the other thing that the guys are bringing up is that the older Chevy and Ford engines are the easiest engines to work on and fix as opposed to today's high tech engines and also makes buying an older truck more plausible.

7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I can't agree with buying used. One of the reasons the F 550 is recomended so much (on this forum) is it can haul a v-box sander leaglly.

I have bought one used truck in the past 6 years, and the truck is a yard truck. However when it comes time for me to replace my wheelers i will condsider a 2 year old truck, only because my wheelers sometime sit a day or two hear and there, and maybe a weeks at a time in the winter. However replacement of these trucks will not be for a long time because they are all 92-95 Ford L 9000s.

I perfer to buy new only because i know what i am getting. Also i trade trucks in 2 or 3 at a time every 5 to 6 years, so they stay fairly new, why? Well my maintmance cost is lower than an 85, all i do for maintamce is, tires, oil changes, fuild changes, and sometimes a ball joint or two. I can trade in a truck 5 or 6 years old a still get a decent trade on them. I have never had a transmission fail, or blow a rear end, or any major break down because the trucks have stayed fairly new. The only problems i had during a storm in 16 years are, a bad joystick controll, and had to replace a battery.

Also because of the nature of my business excluding snowplowing, I have contracts from major companies for 5 or 6 years at a time for utility construction, service, and maintmance.

Also diggerman, i think you may have hit on a touchy subject when you mensioned cash flow. I think that most of us on this board consider that personal information, and like to keep it tou ourself. Judging by the post i have read over the past year, it sounds like no one here is really buying more than they can afford.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 09-15-2000 at 01:55 AM]

8. Alan

Alan Member

Well, I'm in the "good used" category with my trucks. So far that has worked for me. No payments, which I like. Not that I would not like a new truck every couple years but it's just not in me,, or in my checkbook. I figure I can field two (at least) older trucks for the price of one new one. And paying attention to how they run and maintaining them seems to have worked as far as breakdowns. Only time I've had a truck lay down during a storm was last winter when we lost the heater fan motor on the 91.

9. diggerman

from Iowa

I guess in response to what has been said the main reason for my post was that for people like you Geoff who has an established business can justify year round the owning and using of newer equipment. But many of the people who post here who are just starting out in business get the standard response of "Go get a Ford 550 its really the only thing that will plow snow effectivly"when I know good and well because of how the question was asked, and frankly because it was asked at all, that the amount of experiance that this person has in the snow removal business is very limited(I never intended for anyone to divulge their cash flow it is not nessecary).The last thing they should be buying is a $40,000 truck,if someone has spent the time plowing they know what will work for them.Rarely do I see a response of" a good 3/4 ton pickup w/plow thats has been inspected by a professional always is a good starter truck.It frustrates me to see responses that are geared toward peoples personal businesses rather than what is in the best interest of the person asking the question,I too am guilty of this,just trying to point out something we all need to be careful of

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Oh i agree for starting out a 3/4 ton is a good truck. You can put a v-plow on it, the only draw back is it's really not ready for a sander with out some suspension mods ( it will work, but the weight balanced better after suspension mods.. I told snow to get a 3/4 ton when he buys his first truck.

However the difference in cost between a F 250 and F 350, isn't very much all things considered. I would recomend a 1 ton pick up over a 3/4 ton, for the reason that, it will handle a v-plow better as well as a 9' blade. Also a 1 ton can take a v-box, and not require any suspension mods. So i belive a 1-ton pick up may be a better truck to start with, because it has a greater potential.

a 3/4 ton used to be my standard pick up. I used to buy F 250 HDs like Erics all the time, and still have some. However in 97 i did also buy a F 350 pick up. I did notice a big difference between the two pick ups for plowing.

Also in 97 i leased an F 250 HD for two years, because i needed an adition plow truck, and wasn't sure how long i would have a snow contract ( and i didn't want the expense of buying one more truck that year). Anyways i put a 9' diamond blade on the truck, it had heavy duty front and rear suspension, so it was set up to plow. Anyways that truck, is the only one i have ever had problems with, in 30K (2 years) it ate 2 sets of ball joints. The F 350 stood tall and proud, and has never ate a ball joint, it now has 59K on it. Needless to say i turned the 97 in, the good thing about it is i got a lot of spare plow parts. When you lease from ford with a plow, you own the plow at the end of the lease. So i put the blade on my kubota loader, and kept the other stuff ie frame kit, wiring harness, ect as spare parts.

One thing about the Ford F 250 HD, is the turning radius is very big. You need an 8.5' blade is you plan to plow a lot of curvy areas.

I will say that a pick up is good to start with. However if you have the cash to spend, the Bigger trucks just have more potential long term. I would just hate to buy a pick up this year, and next year need something bigger, then you have to trade it in. When you trade in with in the first two years of ownership, is when i belive you are throwing away money ( this is just based on the numbers i have gotten in years past, i have found trading after 5 or 6, is a good time to trade.

Sorry to make such a long post, and i have no ax to grind, or problem with anyone. This is just how i see it.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 09-15-2000 at 01:47 AM]