Same mowers or different??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, Feb 8, 2005.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

How do you guys prefer to set up your mowing crews. I am looking mainly at ZTR's. I run Walkers now but was looking into adding a different Z to the line up. I'm not looking for opinions for which mower is better, that subject has been beat to death. Just looking to see if you run the same mowers or totally different styles.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We run a combination of WB's and riders. Depending on the properties you are serviceing would determine what mowers went where. We have some properties that are just too small for ZTR's, and some that are too time consuming without them. :)

3. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I run the same. I have found that my Walker can go anywhere my WB (both 48") can go. So I am looking to get out of WB's and only using Z's. I have a 21" for the really tight spots but they are few and far between.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Smallest machine I will carry is a 32". Push mowers are just not productive enough. :)

5. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Yes it's great to run different types of mowers. A 60" mid-mount would complement a walker vary well.

6. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Yeah I hate 21"ers but I have a couple props that have tight little areas that there is no other way.

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Walker and a Scag STHM 61". I take one, a 52 wb

and 21" . Depends on weather and time of the year. The Walker and Scag fit on the trailer backwards the 52 in the right front corner. on a 6x12 trailer. Ed

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I run two different crew types for my more costal accounts I use a combination of smaller truck trailer and mowers. For my larger lawns I used larger everything. I want to even make a super sized crew for the bigger lawns a little father north of me that would likely be a 60 and a 72-inch lazer xs both with trac vacs. Depending on the type of lawn is how we figure what that crew will be carrying.

9. LB Landscaping

from Maine

OK let me pose the question this way. On your crews that run Z's only do you run the same kind of Z's or different. Like a mid-mount and a front mount, or two mid mounts. Which do you find more productive and why???

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok since no one else answered for you I will. I use mid mounts for 2 reasons they are more maneuverable and they are compact and do not eat your trailer space. We still got a few old timers here that use scag 3 wheelers those things are like 11-13 feet long when you realize most landscapers have a 12-20 ft trailer something that big just takes up to much space. Also while there are bagging systems for the 3 wheelers none compare to what you can mount on a ZTR. Then you got mowers like the walker they are front mount but in reality they hardly stick out any farther then my lazers decks do. If you were asking brand yes I try to stick with the same mower brand and although something always comes up and my plans seem to change I do hold out hope to one day be getting fleet rate on my mowers. For exmark I was quoted this its a 12 point system 1 point for a belt 1 1/2 for a hydro something like 2 for a small ztr 3 points for a LazerZ and the Lazer XP was like 4 points don’t quote me I am speaking from memory of a phone call. Anyways if I bought enough mowers to total 12 points I would be on fleet rate, which is 11% off promo rate. So my new Lazer XS with the 72-inch deck was 9,600 instead of 11,500. You can see why I stick with one brand also its easier when something goes wrong to deal with one dealer.