1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Same ol' Same ol'

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RwADesigner, Oct 12, 2002.

1. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

Hey guys!....

I know you always get this question...but what has been the most effective TIME OF YEAR.....and SOURCE OF ADVERTISING for getting new customers in Lawn Maintenance.

Phone book?
    Newspaper?
    Flyers?
    So on....

I know word of mouth is top notch....but how do you get new customers if you have none...in the lawn maintenance area...:)

And what is a reasonable amount of customers to expect to land in the first season. Or..what were some of your first year customer amounts?

Thanks alot

Gus

2. Starting from 0

for residential -flyers
    cheap and you can do 5-600 a day so you should see some immediate return

commercial-cold calling in person to collect info and chance of finding someone ready to make a change

most effective time of year is spring-then early fall
    but good advertising works anytime of year

how many customers & $ ? All depends on you

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I started with fliers, and still do fliers for concentrating on certain neighborhoods that I want to work in.

I've not yet put an ad in the yellow pages. Word of mouth and fliers has taken me where I want to go.

I do have a pretty nice vinyl lettering sceme on my truck and trailer as well. That was almost $900.00 and in two years I've only got 1 call solely from the truck advertisement. It looks real good though and gives a professional appearence. I think it was worth it.

Scott