Same Old Posts .... Over and Over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I just find it amazing how often I see people post new threads on topics that we've all already discussed over and over and over again.

I'll answer a thread one week. And it will be a question I've already answered 10 times over the years. But I'll be nice and answer it yet again. Then the very next week another person posts the same exact thread! And then another person posts the same thread the following week!!!

I swear Lawnsite needs to make it a rule that before a newcomer can post a new message, they need to demonstrate that they are proficient at finding and using the search button.

Maybe that's the problem. We aren't making it clear enough... Hey Sean, Jodi, et. al. Is there any way you can make it so that the search bar is like 10x normal size for the first 30 days when someone signs up for a new account?

Maybe we can create another forum within lawnsite. It will be called the duplicate thread forum or the superfluous. And when a newcomer posts a topic that has already been posted recently, it just gets moved to the "superfluous" forum.

:eek:

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Great Idea but it will never work. If you used the search button 95% of all questions would be answered and there would be no interaction between members. Which would mean no LS after awhile.

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

It can get pretty repetitive here. I think the new thread post should be disabled for newcomers until they have reasearched at least 25 topics using the search button.

4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I just posted a thread like this last week.

J/K :) . Repeat threads seems to be the norm on every forum I visit.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe it should apply to everyone. Here's a thread from Monday Jim.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=137397

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

What kills me is when I get on here and someone will ask a question and the thread right below it is about the same topic, like they didn't pay a bit of attention before they started their own thread. I don't mind some of the repeats, because they might be somewhat unique, but other ones, like which is the best ZTR, are really annoying.

It would be nice to somehow enforce new members to use the search button. Maybe they couldn't start a thread until they had 25 posts under their belt.

Oh well, like someone said, if there were no repeats this site might get boring...ha, yeah right, I love this site....:dancing:

7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I suppose they could, since everything has been discussed, shut down the forum and publish their memoirs.

8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, I agree with you on how a lot of new threads seem to be clones of older threads.

However, I find that the search feature is almost useless when your looking for a specific piece of information. Unless its something like striping, sharpening blades, etc. A lot of times I find myself remembering a specific post that has the information I need, but I cannot remember what thread I read it in. Again I find the search feature to be of no help in this situation.

I also believe many members feel that their situation is "different" or more related to them and thats why they create the thread.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Lawnsite is definitely about learning, but it's also more. There is socialization involved, and everyone is just not going to want to read but never be "heard". People come here to interact and talk, the same threads bring different replies each time. Online communities are basically all the same, 'cept I think Lawnsite has the best members. We really have A LOT of participating members that check in EVERY DAY to give their input. :clapping:

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't seen any "out of control" flame wars and considering I'm not even sure if there are any mods around, I would agree with ^^^^ about the polite part.