1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

same price, payment in full or credit???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 8, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

lets just say you quote a price for a job. let's say it's $450. now, the client asks if they can split that payment up, cus it's too much for them to handle all at once. do u jack it up? or is credit the same price as payment in full?
  2. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

Well if the price is only $450 then I believe that the price would be the same as long as payment is within 30 days. We run credit on almost all of our customers. Now if the price is higher, say $2500, then I believe that the price should be a little higher. A lot factors come into play, i.e. finance charges from our bank and suppliers, amount of labor I am paying out, etc.. A down payment of say 30% may be the way to go so that you get some up front and then full payment when the job is completed.

If it is just maintenance then we would run credit.

Just my opinion.
  3. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

My first question would be, "How long are you planning to take to get it all paid?"

If they will pay me half on completion of the job, half in 30 days, no problem. If they want to stretch it out over longer, in most cases I would tell them that I am sorry but I am in the lawn business, not the finance business. And I would want them to get a cash advance on a credit card, or use some other normal financing to get the money to pay me.

And if they are having trouble paying a $450 bill in 30 days or less, I would seriously be worried about ever letting them run up much of a bill.
  4. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I did a lawn reseed last month and it came to about $415 with all the other things. The customer couldn't afford it at all at once so I said that I will break it into three months and just add it to her monthly bill. If I didnt do it this way I wouldnt of gotten the job. It worked out for me.