Same sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FATWEASEL, Aug 9, 2006.

1. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I don't have my applicator's license yet but just asking some questions ahead of time.

Do you guys clean your sprayer between changing chemicals or do any of you keep 2 sprayers for different apps?

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

its a much better idea to have a dedicated sprayer for each insecticide, selective and non selective weed controls.

3. FATWEASEL

from NC

Meaning.....two, three sprayers...?

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mean 1 gallon hand cans?
    Or did you mean 200 gallon skid sprayers? If 200, you need separate sprayers for flowers and trees, and a second sprayer for weeds. If you are doing turf without flowers and trees, a slight mixing of chemicals is low risk as long as all the products are registered for turf. Insecticide, fungicide, herbicide for turf--fine. Besides, the excess in the tank is hazardous waste--very difficult to get rid of it legally. You cannot just dump it and rinse out the tank.
    Put your Roundup in a 1 gallon hand can. Mark it in big letters. Also put the date of mixing on it--each time. Write on duct tape.

5. FATWEASEL

from NC

I was refering to handheld or backpack. I never considered 1 gallon sprayers. Seems like there would be alot of time spent refilling.

That kinda answers my next question which was if you didn't use seperate sprayers, how do most people get rid of the excess or just dump it back in the container?

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I usually keep three or four solo backpack sprayers with me. Saves time on cleaning and I do not worry about contamination.

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I triple rinse and okay so far. Last time I sprayed with roundup in my backpack, triple rinsed and then spot sprayed several yards with no problems.

I guess I better check the yards if they are okay. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No actually no problems. Live on the dangerous side. :laugh: :laugh: