Same street but different mowing days

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Oct 26, 2004.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I now have 3 customers on the same street. First and second customer signed up for weekly mowing. But, they did not tell me and I did not ask what days to mow. I explained to them once I get my weekly schedule down for next year then I would set-up the weekly day with them. The third customer insists I mow on Fridays. How would you handle scheduling with multiple customers on the same street but different mowing days?

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

They all need to be on the same day.

3. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

wants their yard to be freshly mowed for every weekend hu?

Can you make all 3 of them work into your schedule on Fridays...if so I don't see it as a big deal.
    if I had to come back it would depend on if it was out of the way for me or not what "I" would do

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

when I dictate to customers, then they pay regular price.

When customer dictates to me, they pay extra or go away.

$5 extra per mow or $20 extra per month sounds about right assuming a 1/4 acre standard lot.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

First, I don't let my customers tell me what day I can mow. Obviously everyone would prefer to have their lawn cut on Friday, but obviously that isn't possible. And you just tell the customers that. If they can't understand that, then they are probably more trouble then they're worth.

What day are you going to do the other two? If you can do all 3 on Friday, then go for it, but if not, I would tell the "Friday" guy that he will be on the same day as the others. He can decide whether he wants to take it or leave it.

Now, if all your lawns are in a close proximity anyway, and you need the work, then do what you have to do.

6. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I will tell the other two I will be mowing on Friday. If they're OK with that then done deal. But, if they want Wednesdays then I will go back to the Friday customer and explain I will be mowing Wednesdays. But, if you really want Friday there will be an out-of-route fee of $5 extra. Seems reasonable to me and should be for the customer once I explain the scenario.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Unless you are one of my Platinum Level Full Service (everything we offer) then you are charged an extra $2 for Friday mowing and then it is on a limited basis as I have space. I also discount Mon-Tues mows by $2.

8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

The way fuel prices are we (any LCO) would have to charge more if they would not agree to do it on the same day. I have done that in the past though if the home is on my way thru town where I take my kid to school everyday. That way it's not that big a deal.
    However doing 3-4 lawns at 1 stop greatly ups your per hour earnings as anyone can see. And in this biz you need to make everything you do count. Hopefully next year fuel prices will be down at least some. Either way any account I have that is on the same street or very close, will be done on the same day. No exceptions.
    I messed up & let a couple people skip cuts & go longer than the 2 week minimum between cuts this year which messed up my route sometimes. Last year I did not let it happen , but I had not grown as quickly as I thought this year so I tried to keep everybody I could. Will not happen next year. Cheaper to stay at home than to be running all over town burning up that high dollar fuel(Diesel 2.09 here)

9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Been there done that. I always tell them that my Fridays are booked up and it'll have to be another day unless they are within the same route for that day.

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them your Fridays are full, have been for two(or whatever) years, and "What if it rains? Your lawn will be unmowed all weekend."
    Crawdad