Same Tank for herbicides & Insecticides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikerabbit, Apr 15, 2014.

1. mikerabbit

mikerabbit LawnSite Member

Just want to know opinions on using the same back sprayer for both Dimension 2EW pre/post, then after properly washing it using the same sprayer for Talstar.
    In the reading I have done it says its good practice to have seperate equipment but I wanted to know what common practice was and if anybody has had issues with the equipment or "cross contamination."
    Mike

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Risky--not recommended at all. If bushes died you could be sued.
    Same sprayer practices are particularly prone to cross contamination if 2,4-D or phenoxy herbicides are used in a tank and then it is later used to spray flowers.

What is worse--many backpack sprayers have hidden pressure chambers inside that are almost impossible to rinse. Back packs are cheap (at Home Depot) --why would you take the risk?

3. It's way cheaper to just get another sprayer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mikerabbit

mikerabbit LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Understood. Just bought a fastpak and deciding whether to dedicate it to herbicides or insecticides.
    Thanks
    Mike

5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

If your only using it to spray lawns I don't see a problem, but if your rinsing it so you can then spray plants then yea buy a separate sprayer for shrubs and plants.

6. arborist

arborist LawnSite Member

buy a separate sprayer that hundred dollar sprayer is cheaper than being sued or paying thousands for new landscape plants.

7. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

how do you like the fastpak so far?

8. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

I've always been told as long as you triple rinse you're ok. I use the same sprayers for round up that I use for spot spraying lawns with Celsius and Speedzone. I triple rinse after every use. Never had a problem.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody agree with me? I think there is a hidden air chamber in backpack sprayers that is usually filled with air, but can get filled with herbicide solution. Turning the backpack upside down will not empty out the air chamber.
    Its number 39 in the blow-up diagram: "Pressure cylinder".
    http://www.gemplers.com/shop/hsolop

Another problem, under certain conditions when a hand can 2 gal sprayer is left full for a long period of time--the solution can leak past the rubber seal into the bottom of the pump cylinder itself. This can potentially contaminate the next "load".

10. I've always found it's just cheaper and safer to have different sprayers then there's no chance of contamination.