1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sample Landscape Design Contracts

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by WalkerMike98, Feb 8, 2006.

1. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone might have any sample landscape design contracts. I have designed several in the past but only for people I know. I just do not want to be stuck if someone tries to back out of the deal. Thanks for any help.
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Post what you have and let people comment.

Or, take what you have to your attorney for review. He tell you exactly what needs to be done.
  3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, this is from the Lawn & Landscape Magazine website. It will give you a place to start and add or subtract what you need for your purposes.

Castle Landcare
    5628 Gunn Highway #5
    Tampa, FL 33618
    Phone: 813.494.5042
    Fax: 813.264.5042

The Gill Residence

Scope of Work. Outlined below are the proposed tasks to be accomplished.
    1. Assimilation of all program and site data received from you.
    2. Actual on-site measuring and development of a base map.
    3. Analysis of existing on-site and immediate off-site conditions.
    4. Preparation of two alternate preliminary plans which will be presented to you at your home.
    5. Further refinement of one of the preliminary plans or a combination of the two to establish the final master plan.

Please note that the scope of work does not include the following:
    1. Detailed construction or working drawings for any site structure.
    2. Actual construction or installation of the design.

Drawings. I will submit the following drawings to you according to the time schedule outlined below.
    1. Two preliminary plans for the entire site. These will be designed digitally from actual photographs of your property. They will show the location of all proposed site elements (and existing site features that are to remain) such as walks, driveway, terrace, fences, and planting. Notes will identify pavement and fence materials, fence heights, and general type of plant materials. You will receive one print of each of these plans.
    2. One master plan, including one digital image as well as one blackline print drafted at a scale of 1/8” = 1’0” will show specific names of plant materials and other materials and patterns. You will receive one print of these plans.

Time Schedule. I will begin work upon receipt of the signed contract. The preliminary plans will be completed within 10 days, at which time I will telephone you to get a specific time and date for presenting them to you. Following that meeting, and after a 10-day period for you to study the preliminary plans and get back to me with your comments, I shall begin the design of the final mater plan. This plan shall be finished within 7 days. I shall again telephone you to set a time and date for presenting the final master plan.

Fee Payment and Schedule. I propose and execute the above noted drawings and services for the lump sum of $300.00. The payment for the above services shall be as follows:

$75.00 submitted with the signed proposal/contract.
    $125.00 paid upon completion and presentation of the preliminary plans.
    $100.00 paid upon completion and presentation of master plan.

Contract Acceptance. This offer is valid for 30 days. If this proposal is satisfactory and acceptable to you, please sign the enclosed copy and return it to me for my files.

__________________________ ________ _______________________ __________
    Company Representative Sig. Date Client Signature Date
  4. SPLC

SPLC LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I have also heard of large design/build companies waiving the deisgn fee if the client chooses to have them build the product. When you sell a client a design, they own it, and can have anyone build it they wish. Thus, for a $20k job (just for an example). You would offer to put the design fee towards the project construction cost as an incentive to have your company build it.
    You could include this clause in your contract if you wish.

It's a good deal if you ask me, I will be implementing it as I grow.

Good luck.