Sample Letter to get rid of a PITA please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Jun 15, 2006.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Got this new lawn customer who calls me up last week and sayes that I didnt double hedge his ivy that borders his lawn. So I go back the next day, no big deal takes me a max of 5 minutes.

Fast forward to today, I make sure that I double edge his ivy, provide a quality cut and blow off his driveway/patio.

Sure enough he calls me tonight, apparently I did not blow off the patio enough,which I did do ( tons of magnolia trees).Then I missed a clump of grass that is lodged in his hedges. Anyways this guy is a getting to be a real pita and I am only on week 2.

Does anyone have a sample letter to get rid of a pita?

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If it's just a silly residential..just call him and tell him that you don't want to service his account anymore, and that you'll do it until he finds someone else.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No because then he can take his sweet time, I would just call and tell him you will service his lawn once maybe two more times but he needs to find someone else asap and really, the sooner the better.
    And thank you.

If he asks why (he likely will), I would say 'I am not at liberty to discuss this, thank you.' and click.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When you want to cut ties, you cut ties, it's simple. Call him up, don't waste time writing a letter, tell him that you will no longer be servicing his lawn. None of this, "i'll cut it until you find someone else." That would just be taking a chance that he would complain some more during the final cuts, and then maybe refuse to pay the bill. End it quick, get on with life.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a letter but it is short, sorry...

December 13, 2002

Someyour Street
    Someyour TOWN, ST 12345
    800-555-1212

Mr. Customer Name
    SomeHis Street
    SomeHis TOWN, ST 12345

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you today to officially tender my resignation effective Friday, December 27, 2002 <-- Make it 15 days from the day sent.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

YOurFirst Last

OR, to end it quick, make the effective date today's date. Personally, I just take a pen and cross them off the schedule the minute after they are done riding me.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

now that's funny.

7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell'em you don't think you able to satisfy them, that you can't afford to keep coming back - maybe they should get someone else.

They will either take you up on the switch or if your lucky, shut up and leave ya alone.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly! You end it like a bad blind date that is going nowhere fast. When I have had to do this I just end it quickly and I tell them to their face, I just say thank you for giving me a try and Im sorry I cant get your lawn exactly as you would like it, have a good day and on to my truck.

9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am going to play devils advocate here. Are you absolutely sure you serviced him 100%?

I know you may think you did however, when you have made up in your mind that you don't like this guy, you will tend to let certain work slide without really knowing it. I had a PITA customer (he really just wanted someone to talk to) and I didn't have time for his nonsense so, I would let certain work slide to give me a reason for him to complain so I could FIRE HIM. Really, you are the one firing the customer, not the other way around.

If you are certain that you did a great job, dump him...If there are ways to improve, cut him again and see what happens. Keep in mind, some people just want to cancel cuz they really can't afford the services so they complain as a way for you to dump them so they don't look cheap.