1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sand/gravel/Portland ratio?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by D Felix, Jun 4, 2007.

1. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to know the ratio for sand, gravel and Portland for mixing cement. It's not going to be enough to call for redi-mix, but since we already have gravel and sand on-site, a bag of Portland will be cheaper than Quikrete... I've looked on-line but couldn't find anything even close. Just need something to get me started- I can tweak it from there.
  2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

mixing in a wheel barrow? 10 sand 4 portland 2 lime stone to suit....mixing in a mixer 30 sand 1 bag portland 1/2 bag lime and stone to suit ..... the numbers are shovel fulls
  3. D Felix

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Quickrete........ready mixed.
  5. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

what's the application?
  6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

What???? lol wheres the stone?
    Cement has no strength, unless you add stone. (rock-lock connection)
    3,000 psi concrete 1 portland, 2 stone, 3 sand.
    4,000 psi concrete 2 portland, 2 stone, 3 sand.
    best to use 5/8 stone when using small mixers or by hand. Otherwise use 3/4 clean.
    Tip : You'll never make good concrete with a wheelbarrow. (unless your Arnold Schwarzenegger) you'll goof up and add too much water and weaken the mix. Go rent, or buy a mixer.

I have a Belle electric one (the ones that Home Depot rents) I'll mix a full wheelbarrow at a time, and you can easily store it in a trailer. Great for Belgian block, curbing , sidewalk fixing, or applying cultured stone.
  7. D Felix

Application is for abutments for a small bridge.

Quikrete is too expensive for what you get, and I really question the 4k psi rating on the bag.

Champion- richall said "stone to suit". I was planning on putting it in! :) I'll be fine mixing in a wheelbarrow- I've done it plenty before and I think I can handle it.
  8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

He must know how weak you are Dan!:weightlifter:

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we use 2 1/2 buckets pea gravel, 2 buckets sand, 1 bucket cement ratio when we make concrete risers for our septic tanks...put it into a mixer and then pour into forms...works well...if your using sand and cement use 3 parts sand to 1 part cement
  10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Pea gravel will work as a filler for concrete, but if it's a round stone, I would avoid it, as the cured concrete will not bond to it as well as a coarse angular stone (bluestone). If you need really strong concrete for supporting a bridge as you say, I'd go with the 3/4 blue. If your supports are in water, you should use a addmix to make them waterproof.