sand in the grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mark05, Jul 14, 2005.

1. mark05

mark05 LawnSite Member
    from ga

just a quick question. i have a new customer ( my third) who wants me yto put some sand down in his yard.its about 2950 sqft. of bermuda. not sure how to even start this kind of job. dont know how long something like this would take. I will have a couple of guys helping. that will make a crew of three.any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. :help:

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't say how thick the customer wants it or why, but if he wants it evenly spread at an eighth of an inch layer, it would require a fat yard of sand on 3000 sq., and probably weigh 2700 to 2900 pounds dry weight, emphsis on DRY. Three guys could toss it with shovels and rake it even. Maybe try a tow behind spreader if there is room to maneuver. Maybe a combination of tow spreading, tossing, and raking. Hope this is of some help.

3. mark05

mark05 LawnSite Member
    from ga

Thanks Jayray. so we just shovel it out and rake? he will need it a little thick in some spots and not so thick in others. yard is pretty uneven. his yard is staying pretty wet. holding a lot of water longer than i thought it should.

4. mccloud1

mccloud1 LawnSite Member

I find it's best to use a landscaping rake when raking it out. 3' or 4' works best. You might want to scalp or cut at the lowest setting, that will help when spreading evenly. If you don't you could end up making thr yard uneven even more. Sanding machines are expensive, so unless you plan on doing alot ..........
    I have found alot of sanding companies charge for the cut, sand, and whatever the sand cost is what labor cost is. So that's what I charged.
    Figuring the amount of sand.....I have found on most average yards will take about 8 bobcat scoops, alot depends on if your doing he whole yard or not.

Hope this helps

5. mccloud1

mccloud1 LawnSite Member

You might even want to think about installing a french drain, so the water hs someplace to go.

6. mark05

mark05 LawnSite Member
    from ga

thanks mccloud1. we are doing the whole yard. the front anyway.
    looking forward to doing it now that i have some iidea of what to do. :blob3:

7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I don't often topdress but, if drainage is an issue, you might want to pull plugs first which combined with a sand topdress might help the situation a bit. If you are dealing with ecxessive ammounts of run-off, etc, then find out why and correct that problem first.