1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sand or Dirt ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kingofbling, Aug 22, 2006.

1. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

Hey guys i have a question,

Im currently looking to get a truck load of Sand or Dirt delivered, and was wondering what would be best for,

(1) Dog Holes - Dogs made tons of holes a while back, we had to get them fixed in order to make them stop (they were kinda wild, they did this before it was hot) they do it now but they dont go hog wild digging 8 holes a day lol.

(2) Lawn Cracks - Due to watering restrictions we now have large cracks in our back yard, there pretty big and you can break your leg in one if you dont watch were your walking.

To sum it up our grass is dead (just like most in DFW).

So basically i was wanting to know what would be best to fill the holes up with and cracks and just use the excess to level off some spots where the ground has compacted down, etc. We dont want to totally redo the yard as its almost nearing fall/winter, thats something i want to focus on next year.

So Sand or Dirt ? ( I heard sand kills roots.. true ?)
  2. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

Fill Dirt - $19 Bucks
    Fill Sand - $24 Bucks

Cubic Yard Prices
  3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Use sand if you are leveling less than 1" deep. If you have bigger holes than that use topsoil. Sand will be easier to work with because it will not have clods like topsoil will.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Sand can seal the top of soils containing clay.

I have no idea what soil you have, or if you have a rainy season. If you have a rainy season, and if you have a soil with a fair percentage of clay, I'd stick with a soil that's not sand dominant.

This was a subject of research for me when I was in college and working at country clubs.

My full explanation is here...

It's the upper part of the page that deals with the particle size thing.