Sand or Stonedust

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bueller, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Bueller

Bueller LawnSite Member

I see in alot of boucheres that they use sand. I have almost always used stonedust for a base. I thought sand washes and doesn't compact well. What are your findings?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

This is probably THE most hottly contested arguement on this forum. Do a search and you will find info aplenty.

Chris

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I seriously doubt you have seen "alot of brocheres" stating such....unless you're reading Home Depot DIY literature.

A base for an interlocking pavement must be comprised of AGGREGATE.

Sand is used only to bed the pavers, which in turn is what creates the *INTERLOCK*, hence the term "Interlocking Concrete Pavers".

Stone Dust is too fine. Not recommended to be used as a base, either.

A base shall be comprised of a crusher run. Which contains larger aggregates all the way down to dust.

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Not this again. I vote for the Moderator to post a requirement to read all of the tech sheets on ICPI website before joining ! Do a search on bases and you will find more then enough info on base construction. Sorry for the rant. *trucewhiteflag*

5. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Agreed!!

Actual Ill even go a step further, if you are planning on getting into pavers, you should go ahead and get ICPI certified, it will be one of the best things you will ever do.

But in the meantime a search will get you tons of arguments (I mean information on sand and base.

Please dont think I am being negative, Im not, I truly love to see people getting into this industry (unlike most).
    The more people that get into pavers, the more awareness will be brought to the public, and someday we can catch up to germany.
    pavers are in thier infantry in the US, Its a great time to come into this world of pavers. But take it serious, adn get ICPI certified and help us all out.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know the message board lingo, but i participate in a Jeep message board, and at the top of each forum, they have what they call 'STICKY' posts, where they permanently keep the most popular, repititive posts posts at the top.

Maybe a good idea for here?

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

YES! Someone should author an official thread on the subject and MAKE IT STICKY!!!!

8. Bueller

Bueller LawnSite Member

Thanks for the post gang. I guess I should have said bed or sub base. I did do a search back to a few months. I have done this for some years now and just wanted to see how others feel rather then looking at Ideal and Unilock install books. Anyway the majority of my work is bluestone now as it is more natural. It is nice to see how the people that do the work feel rather then a booklet or a course that takes up an afternoon. Thanks again

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I *HATE* sticky's. :rolleyes:

But I might have to agree with this suggestion!

10. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

they all ready have that in some of the other forums here, sticky posts that is.