Sand spreading equipment

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by hmartin, May 29, 2006.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for some good ideas or links for sand spreading equipment. Most all of the new lawns in my area are Tifton 419 sod, and are almost impossible to cut at less than 1 1/2" . Those of you cutting bermuda know what I mean, a small deviation in cutting height really shows up. The sod is rough and bumpy, especially the square cut sod. I think an application of say 1/4" to 3/8" of sand would smooth this up tremendously. The majority of these lawns are in the 4000- 8000 sq. ft. range. Anyone with any experience smoothing lawns ment to be cut low please reply. Thanks.

2. aalawnmower

aalawnmower LawnSite Member
    from ND

try www.dakotapeat.com they have something that would most likely work for what you need.

3. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Turfco Mete-R-Matic

The link is to the motorized walk behind, which would be good for the size lawns you're talking about.

I have a 1985 model tow behind that I just rebuilt, and it does an outstanding job. The new units have an improved belt design to better handle wet material, but even without that, I could not imagine a better solution to the problem of spreading a measured amount of material over a yard.

4. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

can you use this method on any grass?

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to consider wetting and rolling as well at sand top dressing. Or maybe a blend of sand and top soil. Turfco makes great top dressers for this the small walk behind F-15 would be best for small areas as it is self propelled and trailers easily. You can also put a drag on the rear to smooth it even more. It is the most popular unit you will find on golf courese for green and tee sanding.

go to turfco.com or call 800-679-8201

6. VWBOBD

VWBOBD LawnSite Member

i just bought a mid 80's metermatic that i reconditioned , parts were surprisingly easy to obtain, how much did you have to spend on yours, and how much did you get it for? I got mine off ebay on a second chance offer for $99.00!!!!!, had to replace the drive wheel clutch thing that sits between the lug nuts to drive the wheels and 5 lug nuts, belt was less thatn a year old, and was the new v groove style!!! Total I had to spend $224.00 including the cost of machine and it works perfectly

7. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

You made out a lot better than I did. I paid 500 for mine on eBay. Then delivery was 400 and I spent about 1200 on parts (belt, and main clutch being the lion's share of that) and spent a couple weeks tearing it down, cleaning and painting. In the end I had an 8000 spreader for 2100, so I am pleased.

My guess is that yours was in the wrong category on eBay? I love finding bargains on eBay. But my luck is usually finding good deals, not complete steals like yours. Congratulations.

Have you used it yet? I get compost from the city for $15 a yard, and spread it about a quarter inch thick at a time. My lawn has never looked better. I planted my grass basically in rock filled clay. Between repeated top dressing and organic clay buster, it is really starting to look like something.

For someone making a living at it, buying a used top dresser and rebuilding it doesn't make much sense, unless you look at the time spent working on it as a hobby. But for "wannabe" property owners, they're great.