Sand spurs....HELP!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jds720, May 8, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead:is there anything that will get ride of these dang things!? I re-did my yard so my daughter could play in grass, and now the things are poping up like crazy!!

2. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

If you have bermuda, you can spray with MSMA. If you have St. Augustine, you will have to control them with a pre-emerge next spring or ...wait for it...hand weed.

3. jds720

I have bahia

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

JDS

Bahia can be chemically mowed with Roundup Original and as a result Sand Spurs and many others weeds are also controlled. The Big problem is the dead sand spurs will still be in the turf for a long time. Read the Roundup Original Label for rates and directions for chemical mowing. If this is not your yard or you don't trust yourself applying Roundup at Chemical mowing rates I can do it for you, since I am just a few towns south of you.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Do a search on Nutsedge--There's lots of info there. Roy

6. jds720

will that kill the bahia? the spurs are green at the momnet, i use lesco prosocuter on weeds at my resi accounts, could i use that?

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

JDS

I can't get into Lesco-JDL Website to read a Prosecutor Label. At one time Prosecutor was Roundup Original. Read the Roundup Original Label about Chemical mowing, I do it all the time.

No at Chemical mowing rates, you will not kill bahia. In fact Bahia is very hard to kill.

Call Jerry, Your Lesco branch guy. He is sharper than the average Lesco employee. Ask him if Prosecutor is in fact Roundup Original formulation.

8. jds720

thanks! :cool2:

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

JDS

Google "chemical mowing" you might be surprised at the results. However before you would want to offer this service, A lot of practice is needed to calibrate perfect with power equipment. Back Packing your own yard shouldn't require 2 to 3 oz of Roundup original. I have power equipment set up for chemical mowing.

BTW I tried to sell Chemical mowing to several of the Counties around us, for road & ride away. No luck, even if I could save them big bucks each year. Many Counties in North Florida Already chemically mow Road & ride aways at big cost savings.

10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

here ric i have labels for all products i use on my comp.

Attached Files: