Sand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Terra Bella, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Terra Bella

Terra Bella LawnSite Member

What is the easiest way of spreading sand in a yard. Do they make a sand spreader. Right now we are using a shovels to spread the sand. We have so many customers requesting sand to build up their turf.

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Use a fertilizer spreader. Either drop for percision or broadcast for big areas.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

we used to call it top dressing 'round these parts. never seen it done at a residential, only at golf courses. At my old course we would areate, then top dress.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.earthandturf.com/

Topdressing is one of the best environment practices you can do on a lawn. Its scientific and most have no clue about it.

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one I need to sand its scalping at 4.5" way to much thatch. Im not sure how much it will take its about 5k sf

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what do you topdress with , always sand?

7. Appalachian landscape

I've only used sand. I believe the idea is to areate then fill the holes with sand to increase drainage and decrease compaction. This allows water and fertalizer to reach deeper into the ground and develops stronger root systems.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i want to try this. how much sand are we talking? how much per 1,000 sq ft?

9. Appalachian landscape

“Topdressing”
    Glossary

From Brent Kelley,
    Your Guide to Golf.

Definition: Following aeration or overseeding, a topdressing is applied to quicken healing or growth, as the case may be. The topdressing consists of sand and fertilizer along with soil for aerified greens or seed for overseeded greens.

here is a topdressing calculator
    http://aggie-turf.tamu.edu/aggieturf2/calculators/topdress-sheet.html

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

Topdressing increases decomposition by bringing soil microbes and moisture into contact with thatch. When beginning a topdressing program, it is important to realize that this is a long-term approach to improving soil conditions and that a single treatment will not produce good quality results. Frequent, light soil topdressings have been repeatedly shown to be the most effective and consistent method to reduce thatch.
    University of Florida

Approximate soil volumes needed to topdress 5000 square feet to various depths.

Depth (inches)
    Soil Volume (cu yds/5000 sq ft)

1/32" 1/2 cy /5000
    1/16" 1 cy/5000
    1/8" 2 cy/5000
    1/4" 4cy/5000
    1/2 8cy/5000