1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

sandblasting slick concrete porch

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by rj6445, Aug 28, 2008.

1. rj6445

rj6445 LawnSite Member

Hi all
    I have been lurking in the shadows looking at posts for some time now but have not seen an answer to my question which is-
    When I had the concrete finished under my covered porch I had the finishers put a smooth finish on it. That was a big mistake. When it gets wet or when humidty is high is is very slippery. Can I sandblast the smooth finish to get a gritty or sandstone type finish on it. Do I need to use alum. oxide or another type media? I perfer not to use acid to try and roughen it.
    Any help? Thanks
    Ricky

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

At this point, you should get some sort of decorative coating / texture applied to it.

The finish you have is called "burned", which is typically only for indoor use such as a basement or garage,

If you dont wanna do a nice coating, do a google search and check out EDCO's website. They make oddles of equipment for the concrete industry. You can probably find a rental center near you that could rent you a machine that could grind the surface.

Although, applying a decorative texture would be easier, thats what I'd recommend.

3. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

If you do not want a decorative coating use a good water based sealer and ad a antiskid additive (sharkgrip) Do not use a solvent base it will bring out to many concrete flaws in the burnt finish

4. rj6445

rj6445 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replys.
    My wife has KO'd the idea of sealer and shark grip,so I guess I will forge on ahead with the sandblasting idea if I can figure out which media to use.
    Thanks again
    Ricky