Sandbur Control: Which grass works best?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by gardak, Jan 13, 2008.

1. gardak

gardak LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new home that needs A LOT of work on the yard. Almost a full 1.5 acres of no grass but thousands of sandburs. I have children and this is a major problem. I am looking forward to this spring to get going on a restoration project but my question is what type of grass will keep these weeds in check?

I need a grass that is good for traffic (kids of course) and is very drought resistant. My choices are bermuda, centipede and zoiysa. I live in the Sandhills of North Carolina.

My plan is to till up the yard and plant sod, just need help on choosing the best grass for my situation.

Thanks in advance.

2. landvet

landvet LawnSite Member

Does Tall fescue grow in your area? It's considered a weed grass up here, but works great on embankments and areas that where you just want something to grow,anything for that matter. It's extremely drought resistant and aggressive as a monoculture. It grows extremely well in compacted soils too. It may not work in your area, but you might look into it. Any turf people in that area that can give this guy a hand or that is familiar with the turf that I'm talking about?

3. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Bermuda is probably tour best bet. You can seed (2-3 year process) or sod (immediate) bermuda, but either way you will have to control the sand burs. Keep the lawn mowed, this will also keep the weeds mowed to prevent them from setting seeds for next year. Use crabgrass preventer in the spring, this will also suppress sand bur germination. Joe