Sandburr and weed control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Elkbow, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner, not a lawn professional, so I thought I would turn to the pros on this site for help.
    I purchased a 1.15 acre house lot here in NE TX that used to be native pasture land. I have neighbors on all sides with established yards. The soil is very sandy, and the place is covered up in every southern weed imaginable right now. Sand burrs are completely our of control in the summer time, though I did not see any last weekend when I mowed it. I am sure they will be back in full force once it gets a little warmer. Late last spring (during the drought we had) I borrowed a tractor and shredded the lot, then disked it up and smoothed it out. We never got any rain, so the weeds really took over. Then last September, once we finally started getting some rain, I put out 50 pounds of Bermuda grass seed.
    My question is what can I do to kill all the weeds, but not hurt immature Bermuda grass? While researching the lawnsite to see what to do about the sand burrs, I found this
    I bought an ATV sprayer with a boom, and plan to put out roundup as posted above. What will this do to my young Bermuda grass? Will it kill out the weeds, too? What would you recommend I do? Should I spray it heavily with roundup and kill everything, then reseed? I hate to do that since 50 pounds of Bermuda grass seed it about $260, but I want to get some good grass established and get rid of these weeds. At what point should I fertilize? I bought a used Exmark ZTR mower during the winter and I will keep it mowed regularly. Also, I do not have a water meter set, so I can not water the lawn, I will be relying on the rain that Mother Nature brings. I will have to haul water for the sprayer.
    Thanks for all your help!
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Before you do anything--go to Lowes and buy the hose-end sprayer of "Image". It will have Sandspur (Nutsedge Purple or Yellow) Control on the bottle. One bottle will cover 8000sq ft. Stuff is a little weak but will work. Make sure you apply it well--I'd think more like 6K sq. ft. for the coverage and repeat in 4 weeks. Google "Image Herbicide", read and make up your mind. If you're not happy, then go with Ric's Roundup cure....Think about it!
  3. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

The problem with that is I do not have a water meter set, yet. (No water faucet) The only way I have to spray will be by hauling water and using my ATV sprayer. I guess I could pour the image in the ATV sprayer with a boom if I can find the correct ratio of image to water. Thanks for your help, any other suggestions?
  4. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

if you are talking about sand burrs as in those painful pokey little things you step on, the solution is to fertilize. There is no chemical herbicide required for these or for roadside aster. Neither one can survive in moderately fertile soil. Their presence is an indication of very infertile soil.

If you are talking about nutsedge, then the product of choice would be Certainty. One app will control and suppress visible nutsedge for nearly an entire season.

Image as a broadcast turf herbicide to control nutsedge or other weeds in the turf is about as archaic as you can get. It was one of the first effective herbicides on the market for nutsedge control. It can severely discolor and set back the bermuda after application. Manage replaced Image as a broadcast herbicide for nutsedge in turf. It will not set the Bermuda back. Certainty is replacing Manage as the herbicide of choice for nutsedge control in turf.

Image still has it uses, predominantly in the beds where it is pretty much safe around many of the shrubs and bedding plants, except roses and azaleas to name two.
  5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, xpnd. Don't use Image on bermuda now. It will really stunt or even damage bermuda when applied during the transition period.

Archaic? Well, maybe, but it's versatile for us backpack spot sprayers, particularly in the summer heat. And for a homeowner with bermuda, it can be the chemical of choice for general weed control in the summer.
  6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

xpnd - BTW, good to see you posting again! I always appreciated your insight!
  7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Once you use Certainty, you will hold Image and Manage in contempt. Certainty can be backpacked but when you broadcast it, it will really clean-up a yard. It controls a lot more than just nutsedge and what is listed on the label. I broadcast app Certainty in the middle of July in TX and the Bermuda doesn't miss a beat. Try it you will love it!
  8. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

Yes, I am talking about those painful pokey things. I do plan to fertilize, but shouldn't I wait until I get most of the weeds under control? Otherwise I would just be growing some really strong, healthy, weeds, right?

Can a homeowners without a license buy Archaic and Certainty? What should I apply right now?
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I would not recommend Roundup on Newly planted anything even if established turf is tolerant of Roundup. You must work with mother nature and not push her before the time is right. Mother Nature doesn't believe in Instant gratification. IMHO You shouldn't use any herbicide until your Bermuda is well established. Then because Bermuda is so resistant to Roundup, use it as posted in your quote of me, for economical reasons. Should you have Sedge become a problem, then use Certainty, Manage or Image.
  10. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

OK, I will hold off on spraying Roundup right now. I would really like to start killing the weeds as soon as possible. What is the first thing you would do, and when should that be done?

If Roundup is sprayed at the ratio posted above, will it kill anything other than the sand burrs?