sandburrs/pasture

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by chuckers, May 29, 2005.

1. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Round up to kill sandburrs but this is in a pasture with pasture mix in Illinois what is a safe mix rate? And yes I have an AG licence

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

msma will work much better

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Test glyfosate @ .5 ounces per gallon .
    Supposed to kill the burrs and not the grass

4. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

MSMA was recommended by a professor at Texas A&M and though we don't have sandburrs or grassburrs here in CA, I'm inclined to believe him.

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Well of course MSMA will kill the sandburrs , it's a top kill like diquat .
    Ca does have sandburrs , maybe not in your area , though .
    If we have 'em here in Az , you got 'em there in Ca

6. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Does the pasture have cattle or horses in it? MSMA may burn back the sandburrs, but can't be used on grazing or hay pastures. Check with your extension agent for their recommendation.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Joe In Jasper

Thank You, Yes MSMA is a arsenic poison and would not be safe for Grazing animals. It may not be safe on certain pasture grasses either. MSMA may be considered a selective control herbicide, but WHAT DOES IT SELECT??? It will kill many varieties of grass.

Roundup on the other hand is considered a non Select Herbicide by most. But it was originally developed as a Growth Regulator. Agriculture rate for Chemical mowing Vary by Species of turf. On Bermuda I have gone as high as 45 oz per acre and still had good recovery. I have also gone 7 oz per acre to get a much slower growth with no set back. Roundup is relatively safe for Grazing animals and at a rate of about 15 oz per acre will control Sand Spurs. BTW I don't cut my grass, I roundup it. But I don't live in a city neighborhood either.

8. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

no it doesnt have horses in it now. I will tell you what them damn horse people are crazy :dizzy:!!! We have seeded this 4 times in 3 years because she found sandburrs just one day the phone rings I need my place reseeded again. 12 ac also.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Chuckers

I'll second that. I was in the horse business and some of those nuts, treat their horse better than their kids.

10. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Ric, I'm currently working on some of those crazy horse farms. I'm trying to keep the fence rows clean by spraying them with a 2,4-D mix and round -up as a Pgr to keep the grass under control. Can you give a mix rate per gallon (I'm using Back pack sprayers ) for bermuda and fescue. Thanks, Joe