Sandburs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sandbur, Jan 26, 2007.

1. sandbur

sandbur LawnSite Member

I've been useing surflan on sandburs for years with good control, is there anyone that knows of something as good with longer control with a sandbur label.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sandbur

You need to tell us what turf you are dealing with before we can give you a real answer. Atrazine 4 L is labeled for sand spurs and does a nice job on controlling them long term. However will Atrazine 4 L work on your turf with out killing it or stressing it?? BTW Atrazine 4 L is now a RUP (Restricted Use Pesticide) so not anyone can buy it.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I inherited a bunch of those. Last year I used Image...Did a great job!!!The trick is to use a pre-emergent. Atrazine in the early spring should do the trick. We'll see. I sprayed at Christmas, but I've got to overseed in Spring and don't want to risk stunting the germination of the centipede at $30/lb

4. sandbur

sandbur LawnSite Member

Bermudagrass is mostly what i take care of.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sandbur

Believe it or not. 1/4 oz of Roundup per gallon of water spread per thousand Sq Ft will control Sand Spurs and act as a growth regulator at the same time on active growing Bermuda.

BTW Last time I looked Atrazine was not labeled for Bermuda. However I have applied Atrazine to St Augustine lawns with no effect to the Bermuda weeds in the St Augustine.

6. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Atrazine/Simazine gets my vote.