sanded yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gaturf, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

I just got a new customer for 10 day maint. service. the only problem is that she just had her yard sanded last week. i use a walker that sucks up long should i wait before i can cut it and is it going to mess up my mower? not sure if this is the right section so i may post this in a few other places.

ga turf
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm, good question. I would probably wait atleast a week or two, I'm really not 100% sure, though.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Seems Like I Just seen this post ????????
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do they sand yards? What type of grass
  5. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

it fills in low spots and helps the bermuda grow. when its packed down you have a flat yard.
    but im no expert about sanding.
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Well, those lawns get slippery, so you sand them...

Sorry, stupid joke, couldn't help it.

Sounds like the lawn was top dressed with sand. Was it aerated first? Great way to alleviate compaction, done on golf courses and ball fields all the time. I'd wait a while before I put a vac on it. If it's irrigated it should be quicker, but I'd test the vac in one section and see how much sand you suck up. You're going to have to wait and see.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I lived in Florida and it was very sandy on some lawns. On a mulching deck it absolutely destroyed the blades, wearing the sails right off. The deck seemed ok, but with time who knows? Discharging didn't pick the sand up and it was less trouble.

I assume that if your mower does pick the sand up you'd get increased wear on the blades and impeller. But what height are you mowing at? I've mowed sanded Bermuda lawns here in GA and had no problems.

Are medium/low lift blades avail for your mower? I think a one-time cutting wouldn't kill your mower/blades, anyway.
  8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Just mulch the grass for 3 or 4 mowings and get it over with,
  9. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

one good rain should move the sand down to the ground.
  10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

a rain or two, maybe a week of irrigation should put the sand where it needs to be. should be safe.