sander size

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by boba, Dec 17, 2000.

1. boba

boba LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a 2001 Ford F550 4x4 PSD. Would put a fisher 9.5 ezv for a plow. What size sander would be good w/o overloading the truck??

Thanks

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

3 Yarder no problem.

Or go with an under the tailgate spreader for a dump body. You need a central hydro system for this type, however you can go from sander to dump truck real quick. Infact because you don't have the extra weight of a 900 to 1000 lbs V-box on the truck you could carry 4 yards of sand or salt or whatever. So if you have a 3 to 4 yard dump body with an under the tailgate spreader you can carry 3-4 yards of material.

BTW the 9.5' fisher v-plow is great.

Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine has an F550 with a 2 yd V-box and it handles it like its not even there,he even built sides for it to get about 2 3/4 yds in there,still doesnt even know its there.Very heavy duty axle and suspension on that 550.

4. boba

boba LawnSite Member

Geoff,

I have never seen a dump tailgate spreader in use in my area. Do you have to use it with the dump body up? Who makes a good one? Cost comparision to 3yd v box?

Thanks.

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Bob if you are specking a new truck look into the in body spreaders. Airflow and henderson both make nice units.
    Dino

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The A 3 Yard v-box will run you like 3 to 4K

An under the tailgate spreader cost 1800 to 2000. However you need to add a central hydro system to the truck, which will cost another 1200 to 2000.

So the cost is about equal. I am not sure but I belive a sander built into the dump body will cost more than an Under the tailgate or v-box spreader.

Yes you have to raise the body to spread sand but you can still lower it and spread a little to get under low clearance things. Only with the standard 9' dump body the height isn't that bad.

Geoff