1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sanding bermuda sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Gaturf, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

even with my walker mower i scalp it down to the dirt in some unlevel spots. it will spread and fill in those areas right. im also looking at having my front yard (about 6500 sqft) sanded. ive had two quotes one was for 1500 and the other was 1200. i can scalp (if i knew just how short to scapl it?) and aerate myself but i dont have a spreader to spread the sand even. (i dont even know where to get the sand thats mixed with compost) can i rent a machine that will spread the river sand for me? thank guys
  2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

How many uneven spots do you have ? If its minor , just use a wheelbarrow and shovel then tamp lightly and rake smooth. Many experts suggest using topsoil instead of sand - holds moisture and nutrients better than 'dirty' sand. If the repair is too large to do by hand , there are topdressing machines that you should be able to rent . But they spread more or less evenly over the entire lawn , even where the sod is level , thus requiring raking or dragging . Also a lot of experts maintain that scalping is not necessary for bermuda , an outdated practice that doesn't help the sod. We are 90% centipede down here , so I don't get a lot of practice with bermuda , but I have never scalped and have gotten good results.
  3. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

there are a lot of uneven areas. so ill have to rent a topdressing machine. so you say top soil? ive always heard river sand was the best. ill look into top soil, thanks for the tip.

4. walkermowers

walkermowers LawnSite Member

in ga you want to call levellawns of atlanta or sandman topdressing they both laser level the lawn to a smooth grade
  5. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

yeah im familiar with both companies. one quote was 1500 and the other was 1200. thats why i was looking into doing myself.

6. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Keystone Rental in Duluth rents top dressers. Their number is 770-476-2999.
  7. trimmer25

trimmer25 LawnSite Member
    from ga

Try Platinum Landscape, they do a better job than Levellawns, and Sandman. They use PGA certified toppdressing sand instead of river sand. Their number is 404.702.7047
  8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats probably a bit of a trip from GA for a small rental.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you want to use sand? I don't understand any logic in adding sand to fill or level out a lawn. It can do nothing to help it, it will wash out in heavy rain, it has no nutritional value for the grass. Sand sucks for lawns period, use a good topper product and topsoil.
  10. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

That would be Duluth, GA