Sanding lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KL Squared, Jun 27, 2004.

1. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I have no idea how to sand a lawn. I have had a couple of customers that have asked about it and I ahve told them that I do not provide that service. Here are my questions:

What is sanding the lawn?
    Basics on how is it done?
    Is this a service a small LCO could or should offer?

Thanks for any help given.

2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

It is nothing more than top dressing a lawn. Get yourself a pile of sand, shovel, lawn rake and a broken back. Cause if you back isn't already broke, it will be. Find the low spots and fill them with a shovel full and rack it in smooth. Repeat 1000 times and your finished.

It sucks!!!!!!!!

Tim

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have only had to do it once, this spring. The grade wasn't prepared right and when it rained it left some washout areas and a few small cracks where water had run down the slope and created crevaces. I went in and spread three yards of sand by hand and I will probably spread another three yards this fall. It isn't rocket science, but it is definately manual labor. Charge accordingly. I had no clue how long it would take so I gave her my hourly figure and she said go for it.

4. J Haugner

J Haugner LawnSite Member

Aerate. Throw shovels full of sand atop lawn, rake to fill holes with sand. Do not lay more than 1/4" of sand in anyone spot. Much more will build up to much heat from the sun and sand holds very little moisture so too much causes the lawn to burn.
    Do this every spring or fall or be sure they like to water in the summer.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

don't want to do that around here.. clay like soil, water, heat, sand. good recipe for concrete.