1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sanding/Painting a trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Expert Lawns, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I am using an angle grinder to sand down my trailer. I am using a 40M pad. (i have no idea what that means) but it's working. Is this what you guys do? I have never sanded a trailer, especially with an angle grinder. Just want to make sure I do it correctly. What are the do's and don'ts?
  2. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have access to a sand blaster, or a place where you could rent one?
  3. Expert Lawns

I guess I could rent one but that's just more money that I have to spend. What are the advantages? Does it do a better job or is it just faster?
  4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

from my experiences, its just easier. You can get in all the little spots. Its like painting with a spray can, instead of a brush.
  5. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have repainted and touched up my trailers several times.
    I would just clean & lightly sand all the angle iron, square or round tubes, and any other larger surface areas. You really cannot sand effectively any of the expanded metal surfaces without a sand blaster but that ok, just clean the surfaces of dirt and grime(maybe a power washer but not necessary). Then I would use semi-gloss enamel spray paint cans or borrow a sprayer and have at it. Ideally you would want to sandblast that trailer for a perfect prep job before painting, but this is not a porsche with a perfect paint job and clear coat. I have done this several times and the results are very good.

Also, I assume you are taking about an open trailer.
  6. Expert Lawns

Yes it is an open trailer. I was just at my local trailer dealer buying some parts for my trailer brakes. He said that an angle grinder with a 40 or 80 pad would be fine to sand with. I just need to prime it asap, seeing how it's exposing bare metal right now. For the hard to reach areas I will just hand sand I guess. Thanks for the responses, you've been very helpful
  7. Expert Lawns

Here are some work-in-progess pictures. Just got done sanding. Getting ready to prime it.

8. Expert Lawns

Primed and ready to paint (the front half)
    I didn't wash the trailer before priming it because I didn't want to introduce any water to the exposed metal. Is it ok to lightly power wash it now that it's primed? I'd like to have it as clean as possible before painting, which may not take place for a day or two and it's sitting outside.

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

thats sweet bro. Im painting the black one tommorrow. I powerwashed mine with my extremly high pressure bit. Its an 11hp engine on that sucker, and that with the high pressure bit took the paint right off. So tommarow im going to prime it twice and put like 3 coats of black paint on it. Then ill do the bearings because if yours needs em, most likely mine does too.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

where the heck is your snow at? Lucky man :cry: :cry: