Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Apr 28, 2009.

1. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of things, river sand that isn't washed and even if it is has a lot of weed seeds in it, so put down some pre M first, also the sand cooks the soil and you will have nut sedge pop up all over the place so get some Certainty or Image and some sticker to go with it, so it stays on the nutsedge.
    I would mix a good Erth food, which is just very fine organic matter like pine bark etc, also core aerate your yard and drag the mixture into the punched holes so it goes into it, that will give your turf roots a place to feel warm and fuzzy, LOL also put down some high N fertilizer to get it growing and you'll be fine. Sanded lawns look best cut with a reel. Hope this helps
    PS: River Sand really doesn't have any nutrients, it just helps smooth your yard and really doesn't level it, it would if you mix the Erth food with it, I would put in 30% min.
  2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with bicmudpuppy. If you have clay soil, forget the sand. You'd be better off with a porous ceramic like Profile or a light compost.
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

I was told not to bring sand to the beach, deep did we not go over this last year compost!!!!
  4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

lol... i just wanted your opinions on sand... I had a trailer load left over so I figured why let it go to waste?
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Experiment, experiment -or - let it go to waste. This mixing mythology kills me. :)