Santa and I spied the Triton deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I know a lot of folks have been anxious to hear more on the Triton deck and have been awaiting them to arrive at their dealers. So I just thought that I would share that I got to have a look at one.

Although I have not been all that impressed with the Lazer Z HP and the old decks, I must say this new Triton platform looks really promising. Looks like a big improvement over the old TriVantage and UltraCut designs. Let's just hope looks aren't decieving...

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The tri-vantage and Ultra cut decks weren't bad in my opinion, honestly I think the trivantage is just as good on lawns that don't grow that much every week.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Well yes, I think that is true when compared to most other decks on the market.
    But I like the Command Cut System on my Lesco Z way better.

The new Triton looks really appealing though.

4. EXspyguy

EXspyguy LawnSite Member

Envy, I've put 20 hrs on a new triton 66 and so far it is everything they say it is. About every 5 hrs I put the machine on the lift to inspect the deck and there is still no grass stuck under it. LOVE IT.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think this is so funny. 2 years ago I went out and found a nice Lazer Z Hp 52" to use. Why? Because of all the POSITIVE talk on this site about how awesome the deck is at everything. There was pretty muych not a single negative thing said about the Tri-vantage deck ever. The Ultra-cut was 1/2 inch deeper, right, or do I have the two reversed? Either way both were touted as being "mower perfection".

I had mine and tried mulching and S/D with it. That deck design would completely pack full to the point the blades would stop turning in a very short amount of time in wet grass. That was even with NO mulch kit and trying to discharge. The mulch kit was a joke...

Now, in the last 6 months ExMark reveals the new decks (again) and most all on here are saying how the trivantage and ultra cut's are JUNK and how much better the new ones are going to be and yada yada yada. How much you want to bet that in 3 or 4 years the Triton deck will have problems and they will re-engineer a new design and then everone will be saying how awesome it is and what junk the Triton was...

I remember when Toro came out with the SFS decks. THe talk on here was unbelievable about them. Suddleny Toro stops production and comes out with something new, well now the SFS decks are junk...

Every brand does it and everybody seems to fall for it...

6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious....and please dont take this the wrong way but if you like the lesco so much better then the eXmark, then why is your avatar a eXmark pic and not a lesco??

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup.... Funny!!! As a Hustler fan I listened to all the guy's saying how poor the cut was, all the while watching as my machines outcut the scag's and Exmarks.
    It just goes to show there's alot more BS being spread here than you think........

Pete

8. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

I Have A Ultracut Deck,and I Just Demoed A Triton 60 For A Day For My Dealer,and In A Day You Dont See All Conditions But I Did Run It On One Of My Plush Lawns And It Did A Great Job,dont Know If It Was Better Than The Ultracut Deck.also,the Triton Deck,exmark Has Slowed The Blade Tip Speed Down,yes I Said Down,they Say It Will Cut And Discharge Better.the One I Demoed Discharged Well,but The Thing That Really Stood Out Was The Stripe,it Was Really Good Without A Roller Kit.they Have Also Changed The Baffle At The Corner Of The Deck,the One Most People With A Ultracut Removed.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i really like the turboforce deck on my toro, i realise it is quite different then the triton....but like i said its my first commercial mower so i hve no other comparison, i did demo the hustle mini z and loved it , but was a little pricy for me

10. Envy Lawn Service

Jason Rose,

Believe me, I understand what you are saying completely about the 52" Lazer Z HP. I believe I was also one of the first to speak frankly about the mower regardless of what I knew others would say. I didn't try to bash eXmark or the quality of their construction. They are a good company and they build high quality fleet mowers. I only pointed out that it did a great job inside their preferred cutting arena, but once outside the comfort zone conditions they fell short. I demoed and fell in love with it while using it where it excelled most. My mistake entirely. Once I got it out everywhere in all sorts of conditions, started performing the initial routine service, ect...the new wore off fast and so did the crush.

This sparked a pretty good dialog well before anything was ever leaked about the Triton deck.

All I was saying is that after seeing the new Triton deck I found myself eating a little crow on my preliminary opinion of it. Before seeing it, I had an idea it might just be a sales gimick considering all of the 'cosmetic' non-performance upgrades the line has seen in recent years. But this Triton deck looks to be a 'performance' upgrade.

Only time will tell....