satellite locations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fblandscape, Jan 13, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

How many of you have satellite locations? Someplace away from your main shop by however many miles / minutes where you keep a couple of trucks with trailers or whatever. Does it pay off? What do you use for the satellite location?

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am not that big of an operation but I keep everything in one location not just due to my smaller size but make maintenance and repairs all the more easy.

Gravely_Man

3. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I have tried this b4 and it didn't work @ all...It seems that everytime you needed something it was somewhere else and buying two or three of everything was not an option....Then when you would go to pickup something it would not be there and nobody was sure where it went (tools grow legs when they become seperated from there brothers & sisters) at least they did with me!
    Even my mulch pile would shrink when left alone at a remote site.....I guess it was blowing away:)
    So I keep everything under foot...It may not be as convienent but it all stays put:)
    Just my .02

peace.....

4. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Skyphoto said it all. It doesnt work well, everytime you need something it is in the wrong place. If you can, keep it all in one location, it will save time and stress.

thanks
    Rick

5. Clayton800

Clayton800 LawnSite Member

You would have to be running one damn big operation to justify a satelite location. Im talkin 25-30 crews

6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't know about 25 crews being necesarry, say these two locations were just small shops, under a grand per month each.

could work...each shop would ideally be self sufficient, as someone mentioned two of everything.

the LCO two doors down from me uses his unit for storage only. fert, plants, mowers, etc. a truck comes in the morning, couple employees, loads up equipment, and comes back at days end. owner says he likes his other main location, just ran out of space.

mind you its just storage, not a satellite per se. his company has a few trucks, but they are not very large.

i've thought of this as a way to get into a distant market ( say 20 or more miles away). sure, it's possible to drive that distance everyday. but with the right people, a self sufficient shop could be set up so it could run itself.

this set up would be somewhere between a company running crews, and a company running franchises.

7. Clayton800

Clayton800 LawnSite Member

Yea great idea!
    Completly double your overhead

8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

rent and utilities could be less (smaller unit) at the second place.

even if we assume they double...the rest would be variable expenses that we can assume are less than revenue, if run properly.

say the shop is 45 min. away. that's time to do a $150 / month prop when you would otherwise be driving. or 10 extra a month, or $1500. even at a 60% expenses rate you have a nice amount to contribute to the second rent payment. (crude example i know)

point: i'll gladly increase expenses as long as i increase profit more. those that don't see the logic there might want to look into a night course in business...

9. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

If you have to have a satelite shop or storage area, man you have to be big time.

I don't see it in my furture.

Double everything I can't see it. I have enough trouble keeping my tools together now.

10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

While I was not intending to get into the whole building deal... this is good. I was intending to be more along the lines of, have a main garage where all major maintenance is done, supplies are kept, etc. However you put a couple of trucks with enclosed well equiped trailers in yards like 20 - 30 minutes away. One day a week, have the rigs come in and do your maintenance on them. Or just have somebody go around and pick up a bunch of blades, drop off oil and grease, etc. Grind the blades and drop them off. Let the crews change them. This was just a thought.