1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Satisfied Dodge truck owners post

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nosparkplugs, Apr 9, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Any in-line engine in even number cylinder configurations are naturally balanced, have 45% less moving parts and produce more stump pulling torque at lower RPM's. The V8 engine is more appealing; because back in the day, and today the V8 was/is able to rev much higher faster more RPM's

The Cummins 5.9L B series 4 & 6 bangers "one liter per cylinder" a joint venture with Case changed & broke the rules starting back in 1989.
  2. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Nosparkplugs, what gas engine is in your Ram that has 375,000 miles on it, and what fuel mileage do you get? I am very curious.
  3. nosparkplugs

I love that truck 1997 2500, it has the 5.9L 360 Magnum Gasburner, 5-9MPG towing 12-15MPG empty with a light foot. in that 375,000 miles 1 transmission to date, 1 fuel pump, and it eats the rotor caps & wires:laugh:, still does not burn oil.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A V-8 can produce torque at a lower rpm look at a old 8v92 Detroit it produced 1250 Ftlbs at 1600 rpm and 475 horsepower with 736 cid look at the old 400 Cummins Big Cam produced 1200 ftlbs 400hp at the same rpm 855 cid.

If V configured engines were bad why are they still made. Another example the 6v71 was better engine than the 6/71 same displacement 426 cid.

You say a I-6 is more balanced have you seen a 400 Big Cam Cummins shake. the old International truck I drove with the DT360 viberated so bad you couldn't use the mirrors. The truck was so gutless you never lifted your foot to shift kept her pegged and power shifted the 6spd.
  5. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

That's pretty amazing to get 197,000 miles out of a Dodge transmission. Not too bad compared to Ford and GM. They seem to only go to 250k, so not much of an increase. I guess it's just keeping the fluid changed, not driving hard, and also I guess the gas engine doesn't wear it out as fast as a diesel. I had always heard of Dodge transmissions being so terrible. I guess they are not too bad.
  6. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Does the tandem gooseneck and Kubota put a load on the ole Dodge? That looks like a lot of weight for a 2500.
  7. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

nice thread on dodges, lots of good info and lots of not so good info, good entertainment, some of these Cummin's get better highway mileage than a Honda Civic;) not bad
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I know of a 2500 Dodge with the 360 I think it was the last year they were made. Anyhow the truck has gone through 2 automatics, 3 rear ends, the truck has electrical problems all in 143,000 miles. The owner said he will never buy a Dodge again he keeps asking how he can get insurance money.

I think anybody that can get 300,000 miles out of a Dodge better receive a medal of honor :laugh:
  9. nosparkplugs

That truck snatch's that load around like it's not their no BS. Hauls it better than the 02 F-350 7.3L CC dually, I also tore the Ford 4r100 out at 35,000 miles towing that tandem gooseneck & Bota:laugh: Ford POS

The Dodge 47RE has lasted aprox 78,767 miles it's getting ready to go, but it is out living the Ford with ease. I've got $4k in transmission parts in my shop, just waiting to find a good time to rebuilt the 47RE, granted I'm still working the truck I gotta shift the 47RE buy hand:clapping: but it just will not die. That is proof positive for anyone doubting the dodge A518/618 transmission their not perfrect but built solid, when you get the stock torque converter out, replace it for a triple disk billet $1950:dizzy: new Raybestos Gen2 blue plate special friction module & kolene steels. I will also be using extra forward frictions in the direct drum, she will be bulletproof, and good for 1,750 lb/ft cummins torque when I get their:laugh: Then might be traded or retired for personal use only

If I can get the loan here soon:clapping: I've got my eyes on a 2008 Dodge quad chassis cab 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed G56 manual tranny 4.44 gears for $31.900 too.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  10. nosparkplugs

I want mine I will fly up so you can nail it to my ARSE

Did you happen to look or notice that in the USA the Ford crew 4500/5500 chassis cabs are less than 45K now:laugh: Check Ford commercial trucks.com:waving: