Satisfied Dodge truck owners post

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nosparkplugs, Apr 9, 2008.

1. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a '00 Dodge 2500 360 and love it. It's my second 360, the first one had horrible fuel mileage but awesome power, this one is a little on the wussy side but gets awesome fuel mileage pulling trailers so I will deal with that! I want a 12V Cummins Dually really bad. Its hard to find a truck that old in good shape.

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

All of the pre-emission diesels are getting hard to find, any Dodge 2500/3500 Cummins with a manual is like GOLD the ULSD fuel lubricity; does not relate to the Bosch P700 fuel injector pump; because it is OIL LUBRICATED ie from the engine. The Bosch P700 is a mechanical pump, and is not computer controlled, and therefore will waste some fuel. The Bosch P700 has tremendous hp/torque potential; however it involves mechanical fine tuning, you have to be able to "wrench" on the P-Pumped Cummins diesels.

back in 2000 To meet the next round of EPA emission & MPG standards, Bosch had to switch to a computer controlled fuel injector pump, enter the misunderstood Bosch VP44/$$:laugh: it is totally fuel lubricated, at the time VP44 testing did not include ULSD, and their was no reason to assume the EPA would switch to it anytime soon. WRONG
    The Bosch VP44 is a ECM computer controlled injector pump capable of very percise injection cycles, on the fly tuning, and the ability to increase HP/Torque MPG without any tools from the cab ECM access port. Cummins also added the 24valve head to breath better, and complement the new VP44injector pump.
    It soon became clear the Bosch VP44 was sensitive to drops in fuel pressure below 9psi, this was because the stock carter (LP) lift-pump were failing. soon Dodge tried to correct the problem with a OEM fuel tank pump. The aftermarket industry stepped in with several options the FASS system. Airdog, Glacier Warlbro pump; which gives a WOT 20psi or idle at 12psi.

With that said the Bosch P700 injector pump is OEM bulletproof, but requires mechanical modification to extract more hp/torque, and from the factory is passively tuned, moderate tweaking is all one needs on the P700

The VP44 is a different animal, and does require a plan to possibly replace the lift pump, and VP44 at some point in the engines life. Because of the computer controlled VP44 it's the easiest to be modified, plug & play applies. But most folks have cooked their VP44; because they jumped to the tuner before replacing the lift pump.

In stock form the VP44 Cummins will run for over 100,000 miles, some guys are just replacing the stock LP at 20 to 50,000 mile intervals to ensure the LP does not fail, The drop in fuel PSI is very slow over time, so most VP44 failures are a "slow death". The dreaded "dead pedal" is when you "slap" a tuner on the Cummins, and it dies immediately.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Well I went out today looking for the right Dodge. I'm looking for the 1ton dually and or the 2500 95'-98'. Both reg cab, 4x4 and 12 valve. I couldn't find anything. I'm going to my nursery tomorrow and tell them to keep on the look out. Is there any site on line other than truck trader? They are joke. I guess my best bet is just drive around to the small car lots and or call around. Maybe try lots by the Port of Tampa, there might be some old work trucks from the shipping industry, who knows.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Seriously look on E-BAYThumbs Up

6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

7. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Thanks guys, I have been on auto trader and can't find anything close at or under 500 miles.

9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Good website. I spend a lot of time on there looking at trucks. Here are few pages to look at for Dodge 2500 and 3500 trucks.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...n=DODGE&guid=9D82B5D8D23F414EBE4949509861284D

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...n=DODGE&guid=9D82B5D8D23F414EBE4949509861284D

I just did a search for Dodge 2500/3500 Cummins 4x4 within 75 miles of Orlando on autotrader.com and only found one, a 1992.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  10. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member