Satue/Sculpture Lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by JoeyD, Oct 3, 2007.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I got this beautiful photo the other day from one of our loyal customers in AZ a few weeks ago. I have had it on my desktop and thought I would share and gather some of your thoughts on statue and sculpture lighting. I have my preferences in lighting them such as I love the cross lighting effect which is presented here. I like to place the fixtures as close to the statue as possible to graze it and show as much of the detail and texture as possible. Anyway, it is a topic i am sure has been discussed but I would love to gather everyone's opinion's here.

[​IMG]

2. bmwsmity

bmwsmity LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Ohio

Pretty cool. I like the shadow effect.

Is this in some sort of courtyard or is it indoors?

What kind of bulb was used?

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I would need to verify the lamps. This statue is in an indoor/outdoor entry. Sort of a courtyard but covered.

The shadow effect here is awesome!

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the way this was done also. I started to contemplate the idea of down lighting it from the trellis thing, but then you would lose the interesting shadows and indirect lighting on the surrounding areas. I think it's very nice and well done.

5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I like the shadowing as well. Looks like two lights in the basin, they appear to be cross lighting the statue due to the opposing beam angle spreads on the back wall.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I like it.... simple, soft, depth filled, dramatic and yet understated. I love it when light works along with dark in a field of view. Well done.

7. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Very well done, no scary shadows on the face of the statue. It is always hard for me when working on statues to achieve good lighting of the face due to shadows. I don't get to do a lot of statues.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

well done... if there is to be a flaw found its the carraige lights being too bright in the back but that could be the picture.

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Nice- I like the ornamantal iron creating shadows.

10. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I like treating statue lighting in the same way as portraiture lighting. Ideally you have a key light (the brightest) from one side, a fill to illuminate the shadows at about 1/3 the brightness of the key light. For a really nice effect, you add a backlight (could be blue or gold).

The best elevation for these lights is at about 30 to 45 degrees above horizon, but that's often impossible in the landscape. If it must be lit from the ground, then I would distance the lights as far from the statue as possible to minimize the ghoul effect you get when the light is coming from directly below the face.

It's nice to position the key light so the shadow from the nose hits the corner of the mouth.