Saturated ground and tire pressure

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Sep 2, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Well....it looks like many of us will have the most challenging week of mowing yet this year (like we haven't already just about every week this season).

I have no idea when I'll be able to get on some properties that do not drain well or have thin turf and are always a challenge to not scuff or rut.

Will increasing the tire pressure a bit help in reducing the tire imprint ? I run the psi normally around 16psi but was thinking about increasing it for this week if it ever stops raining, but with a thousand pound machine I doubt it will make much of a difference but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway.. Thanks

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Increasing tire pressure decreases the "size" of the imprint, however since the weight of the machine stays the same you "increase" the pounds per square foot "of the imprint". In other words, this will increase rutting and not decrease it. Bigger wider tires is the whole reason ZTR's have gone this direction.... to decrease rutting.

3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

So you may consider decreasing the pressure some, but it will not help much. Also you run into the chance of blowing the seal between tire and rim with lower pressure.
    I have been mud bogging all season too, and figure next year all the lawns will be dry as a bone up here.

4. Doc Pete

What machine to do have??????

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if its wet ,i compensate for lower level of cut as the blades will cut a tad lower. i do this rather than fool with the air pressure.
    which of course varies according to the days temp anyway.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

its an hp52...I just thought a little extra tire pressure would distribute the weight a tad more over the surface of the tire...obviously I'm wrong...but thats nothing new..lol

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, lower tire pressure is the key, but like said above, you stand the chance of blowing the seal. Same theory applies to driving on the beach...lower air pressure gives bigger footprint and less of a chance of sinking.

8. Doc Pete

For what it's worth, I've been running under 7 psi for two years and yet to pop the tire off the bead. I'm using a WB (675 lbs.) and a bullrider.