Saturday after 5pm

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by deerbutcher, Jul 16, 2006.

1. deerbutcher

deerbutcher LawnSite Member

Had a customer that I cut 1 time before wanting to know if I could cut their yard again. I told them "No problem, see you on Tuesday". She asks if thats the earliest that I could be there and I said "I don't cut grass on weekends unless forced by rain and Monday was already full". She expected me to go right then and cut it.

How many of you would go cut a yard for someone who is not a regular customer on a weekend and after 5pm? I've been thinking of this phone call since I got it. Can't believe what some people expect from us.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Just let her know that you will but for a nominal fee due to your reasons given here...

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

people are people, some of them just don't think. they are the same ones that walk into a grocery store at 8:55pm that closes at 9pm and begin to fill up a shopping cart full of food. they are the same ones that call a beauty shop at 11am on saturday and expect to get an appointment for noon that same day.

being in business 8 years, we don't let the customer or non-customer dictate the mowing schedule or when we work. however, if we were a new start up, struggling, and needed the extra money, then we would do what we had to do. that's the nice thing though about being in biz for awhile, we now have the luxury to not put up with crazy demanding customers.

4. Daddy Joe's Lawn Service

Daddy Joe's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I Tell customers that the sun dosn't go down till 8:eek:opm.
    I sometimes cut grass 7 days a week. customers want somthing done new or repeat I'm there! There the backbone of the bussiness! Not struggling or need the extra money. that whats makes me better then every one in my home town!!!

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

This is the reason i no longer take call ins. They wait till their grass is a foot high then need it cut immediatly. I will fit a 1st timer in, but on my schedule. If they don't want to be put on a schedule after the 1st cut, then i tell them they need to find someone else for the next cut.

6. Daddy Joe's Lawn Service

Daddy Joe's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Your Right 100% Throw Them Back And Land Another One. You Get What You Pay For!1

7. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

What other kind are there? If they call and I am available I mow for cash. What other kind of sport is there that can pick up cash on the spot? Lawn monkeys mow for cash.

Being on a schedule is too rigid, being flexible is too rigid, be fluid and go with the flow!!!!

Just pulling chains here people. If you cannot service the customer when they want then someone else will. Quit complaining and :cry: about the demands of customers. That is what pays the bills :hammerhead: .
    :waving:

8. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You should tell her you'll be there Sunday...then show up on Saturday. Under promise; then over deliver.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Jodi if you are in that position. However, if they call me on Sat. at 5PM and I dont have anything else to do, they agree to my fee (yes it will be more) Im there! My area is not exactly crawling with people needing lawn care and sometimes you take what you can. However, I will still draw the line on a pita or someone that I dont get a good gut feeling from no matter how bad I need it.

10. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

What I would of done.