Saturday Morning Testosterone

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Another one of my business pet peeves:

In another thread someone had mentioned doing a Saturday appointment.

yes, i do Saturday appointments. In this area many people work an hr away in DC. they need to work so they can afford our world renowned services. Therefore, they're only available on Saturdays.

I been meeting with home owners on Saturdays for over 13 years.

And sure enough I show up at 9 am for the scheduled appointment. Ring the door bell. And stand there and wait. ring again, and shortly after a man 1/2 dressed answers the door. "Hello, please wait outside, my wife is getting dressed".

After this happenin saturday after saturday for 7 years I finally stopped scheduling saturday appointments before 10 am.

My time is too valauble to stand on their front porch while they're in bed satisfying the man's morning testosterone calls.

All Saturday appointments are 10 am and later. No exceptions.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

bored much DVS?
    thanks for enlighting us on your appointments.

3. DVS Hardscaper

LOL - not bored!

years ago we had a particular landscape architect that we worked with. And one day he and I were driving to a jobsite and he says "I don't do early Sat a.m. appointments because they're always still in bed when I arrive".

It was funny that he brought it up because a few days prior I was thinking the same thing.

My time is valuable. DON'T keep me standing on your front porch. I wake up early, rush about the house, rush to the appointment, only to stand on their porch while minutes tick away and away and away.

4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

We aren't your customers.... telling us about your frustrations won't help much.

5. DVS Hardscaper

LOL - no frustrations, as I don't do early appointments!

But hopefully PLC when you schedule a Sat a.m. appointment you'll keep my wisdom in mind.

Or when you've fail to heed to my wisdom and you're standing on their porch for 10 minutes on a Sat a.m., and finally they return to the door to let you in, and you reach out to shake their hands....keep in mind - they didnt have to rush out of bed to be at work at 8, it's the 1st opportunity they had time together :)

Now everytime a lawnsite reader/participant is left standing on someone's porch on a Sat a.m. while the Mrs gets dressed.......they're going to always think of me :) And eventually they move their 1st appointments to a later time :)

Thanks as always for being fans!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I do saturday appointments. I will do 930 but no earlier. And normally I end up waiting on the porch a few minutes.

Then I demand fresh coffee.

7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL don't worry about me, I'm hardly even out of bed at 9am on a Sat! I actually enjoy 2-3 meetings on a Sat between 10 and 3, then a BBQ to take me until dark:). The guys work 7-4 Mon-Thurs, 8-2 Fri on a good week, full days Fri if there's rain during the week. Unless its REALLY bad, I don't put them to work on Sat. I find really pounding them during the week, then letting them sleep a bit and take off early helps me get a full week out of them. I was doing the normal 8-4, 5 days and found Fri afternoons are a waste of time because everyone wanted to leave. Also, it takes a good 10-30mins for everyone to get into the groove for the day, so working a 9hr day maximizes the good hours so we can really motor.

Wow I went off topic... but yes, DVS I'll keep your advice in mind:)

8. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

This time of year, Saturday is just another day. I can't imagine anybody here that would refuse a solid lead just because they want to meet at 9:30am on a Saturday.

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I dont do any appointments any day before 11 unless I have to.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

DVS, I'll keep that in mind when I'm kayaking on a saturday morning. :)